Author Topic: "I am Iron Man!"  (Read 4288 times)

Darrol

• View Profile
"I am Iron Man!"
« on: May 02, 2008, 12:12:32 AM »
So I just got back from one of those 8 p.m. advanced screenings of Iron Man at my local AMC theater. I am being honest when I say that this movie makes up for all those awful superhero movies that have been made in the past including Dare Devil and The Hulk. Robert Downey Jr. does a great job in the role of playboy Tony Stark, a man with the philosophy that the best weapon is one that only needs to be used once. To my knowledge from hearing from others, the movie stays with the comic book with a updated time frame.

Another thing that looked amazing was the CGI. From the fight scenes to the suit being assembled, it all looked pretty good. I easily recommend the movie to anyone, just make sure you stay till after the credits for the second of the two noticeable references to the future of the comic.

Something I did not care for was the last line before the credits because from what I took after looking online, it was something that got changed and anyone who knows the comic series will probably know what I mean.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 08:18:25 AM by Big D Bassist »
There are many in this world that call me Darrol, feel free to be apart of that group.

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
Re: "I am Iron Man!"
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 03:22:15 AM »
I almost went to the Midnight screening tonight too.
Tomorrow I'm there!!!

Played the ol' Sabbbath riiff a bit at band practice tonight....

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 04:29:24 AM »
I always loved Iron Man & War Machine, but hated Tony Stark and he had one of the lamest villains in the Marvel Universe - Mandarin.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 08:08:49 AM »
My fave villain was Dr Doom against the Fantastic Four. I liked that curious mix of anti-commie angst (he was domiciled behind the Iron Curtain after all), robot (and inspiring Darth Vader) and inquisition officer with Robin Hood romance thrown in (the cape) for good measure. In those Fantastic Four movies they didn't do him justice at all. I also like the Lizard as Spidey's opponent because that was so tragic with the arm regeneration experiment having gone wrong. The Green Goblin (bit overplayed bei Willem Dafoe, but still alright) wasn't bad either. And Doc Oc (very well played in the second Spiderman movie, touching performance) of course, he even protected Aunt May!

Uwe
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 11:53:11 AM »
They really missed the boat with Doc Octopus, though.  In the original comics, he was actually Aunt May's boyfriend.  The movie missed on that aspect.
Harry Osborne was played letter perfect in the movies, and the death of  the original Green Goblin was also nearly frame by frame right out of the comic.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Darrol

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2008, 12:54:06 AM »
Jeff Bridges also did a really good job as Obadiah Stane with the whole, I will shake your hand and be nice to you all while I am stabbing you in the back thing.
There are many in this world that call me Darrol, feel free to be apart of that group.

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2008, 02:37:19 PM »
Wow~The lines & excitement over this movie is like Star Wars!
Cheers & roaring applause at places during this!!!

F'ing AWESOME! F'ing GREAT! Industrial Light & Magic does it again!!!!

I'm blasting AC/DC right now...cuz they kick off this movie!
Iron-clad entertainment, folks! haha Prepare to get ROCKED!!!

Gwyneth is luscious & elegant & as clever as she is beautiful.
Downey is superb & has just the right RocknRoll attitude for this role! He really pumped up for it & fully redeemed himself from past failures in his personal life & that horrible flick Less Than Zero.
Jeff Bridges is BADASS as the baldheaded villain! I always loved his acting.

Hans Zimmer composed a magnificent score, very POWERFUL!!!

Be sure to stay thru the credits for the music of Black Sabbath's Iron Man (thankfully without vocals) & a surprise at the end like the POTC flicks!!!!

5 stars!!!!! One of the Best Movies Ever!

I'm totally pumped from this--it's one of those movies that gets you fired up to do great things!!!
I'm gonna go pump IRON! LOL

See this on the SILVER SCREEN right now! Don't wait for dvd.

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2008, 05:54:00 PM »
dude,Less than zero was great,and one of the best soundtracks ever
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

angrymatt

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2008, 05:01:06 PM »
I saw it last night.  The opening scene struck a little close to home, it made me a little uncomfortable.  But other than that it was way fun.

One thing that always disappointed me with the Spider-man movies, was how in the comics and cartoon he was such a smart ass to the villains, and in the movies he hardly cracks on them at all.
angrymatt, the lurk
'13 NR Thunder "Blue" Bird | '09 BaCHBird | '07 Zebrabird | '06 Tobias Growler | '03 Spector Rebop 5 | '87 Heritage

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2008, 03:39:06 AM »
I saw Iron Man yesterday. Could have used an hour or so of cutting to make it better - and the film pretty much stands with Downey's and Jeff Bridge's (the villain) presence. Animation was brilliant, especially his flight scenes which looked very unanimated.

I still think that the first X-Men and Spiderman II were perhaps the best Marvel hero films, but Iron Man is no catastrophy.

Uwe 

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2008, 05:19:57 AM »
Captain America F&^%k Yeah

NWS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq2_YKQGE_U

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2008, 05:21:22 AM »
Why Captain America does not translate well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tVxYs3vEXE

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2008, 05:29:43 AM »
I prefer Connie Selleca!

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2008, 04:39:38 PM »
finally saw it and it had to be one of my favorites Marvel movies. Not as good as Transformers in the writing * dialogue, but a great movie!

He played Tony Stark to a T!  He made him to be the egotistical cold hearted alcoholic he is. Some parts were pretty stupid, but overall a great movie that even my wife & daughter liked.

Jeff Bridges was amazing and when they said the name Pepper Potts, I think =everyone busted out laughing.

I don't know how they are going to pull off the Avengers?

How do you make Captain America & Thor come off seriously?

Maybe they just have Ant Man, Wasp, Wonder Man & the Vision?

Darrol

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2008, 05:26:48 PM »
I don't know how they plan to pull those movies off but I believe they can pull something together if they have similar teams to the group that worked on Iron Man.

I will be honest though, I don't think I have ever read a true comic. In my history, I have read 1 Avengers book which I kind of remember and the rest of my knowledge comes from the wonderful interweb.