Author Topic: Headless Thunderbird  (Read 18134 times)

neepheid

• View Profile
    • The Inevitable Teaspoons
Headless Thunderbird
« on: February 11, 2011, 03:21:47 AM »
During a drunken conversation at the Moffat Bass Bash, I proposed a solution to the neckdive of the Thunderbird bass - make it headless. I remember it being a visionary idea at the time, but in the cold, sober light of day it seems like a daft project to take on for a laugh :)

This may be the talk of a dead heretic walking here but I would like to butcher a bolt on Thunderbird (Epiphone Goth preferred because of mahogany body) and add a headless neck and bridge. I might alter the body shape a little to address another of what I see as one of the faults of the Thunderbird - high fret access.

I've been pottering around in the GIMP and come up with this:

Possible moving of the lower horn to allow improved high fret access:

I think I've managed to source a donor headless so all I need now is a loaded t-bird body, or a t-bird with a broken neck.  As I said above, I would prefer an Epiphone Goth for the donor body.  Has anyone got anything lying around?
Basses: Epi JC Sig 20th Anniversary - Epi Les Paul Standard - Epi Korina Explorer - G&L CLF L-1000 - G&L Tribute LB-100 - Sire D5 - Reverend Triad - Harley Benton HB-50
Band: The Inevitable Teaspoons

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Re: Headless Thunderbird
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 07:00:47 AM »
Actually, I don't think it's too crazy considering the commonality of headless TBs.  My avatar is a clear example!  I think it would be an intriguing project.  Besides, used Epi TBs aren't that expensive and I'd want an unmolested one so I could cut the headstock off myself.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 10:46:57 AM »
I had to laugh very hard about the headless T-bird logo ;D

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 08:09:42 AM »
I commented on this a while back...

You can pick up a Hohner Jack (resplendant with a through neck - Precision D profile - double octave), cut the edges off and have "wings" fitted  - probably wouldn't be that hard a project...

[welcome - Lowlander (sasenach) or Highlander (teuchter)? ;) - lots of pepper with the neeps ;D]
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 08:23:22 AM »
Welcome!

I have to say that a headless Tbird just doesn't work for me.

On the other hand the headless logo is just perfect - this I love! ;D

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 08:51:53 AM »
 While the project is interesting the  Thunderbirds reputation for neck dive is overblown. To me this looks like fixing a problem that doesn't exist.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

neepheid

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 07:58:24 AM »
The donor headless turned out to be a bit of a loss, but I've had some good fortune lately - a friend has given me some headless hardware, and I've managed to win a donor Epiphone Goth T-bird on eBay for < £100 - had a lifting bridge which the previous owner had tried to fix by A) packing the post holes with an unknown substance/material and B) tried to fit a regular Fender style bridge, leaving screwholes.  This is the perfect donor bass for me - I'm going to obliterate the one issue that it has.

In keeping with the delicious 80s feel of the headless, I think I'll refinish the body/neck in white with a black "headless T-bird" pickguard.

godofthunder: I'm not suggesting that it's an endemic problem to all T-birds, and I apologise if I didn't make myself clear.  It helps to remember that this idea stemmed from a drunken conversation ;)
Basses: Epi JC Sig 20th Anniversary - Epi Les Paul Standard - Epi Korina Explorer - G&L CLF L-1000 - G&L Tribute LB-100 - Sire D5 - Reverend Triad - Harley Benton HB-50

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 10:27:04 AM »
If nothing else you will have created the bar gig proof Tbird ;D

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 11:58:13 AM »
Very useful for gigs with low headroom...

I consider my Hohner to be a bit of a chisel... ;D

Oh yeah... usual rules apply...

:popcorn:
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

neepheid

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 02:34:32 PM »
A quick update, I've filled all the spurious holes in the body which were left by various bridges and the neck.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 02:47:29 PM »
Whoah... what on earth happened to that neck pocket - that's some termite hole... ;D

neepheid

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2011, 02:59:38 PM »
Whoah... what on earth happened to that neck pocket - that's some termite hole... ;D

It was a rather rough hole about 10mm in diameter which was probably used to hang the body while it was being sprayed.  It's covered by the neck plate normally.  Unfortunately, I only had 6mm and 22mm mahogany dowel so I had to enlarge it a bit first ;)

You can see the original problem here:

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2011, 03:04:00 PM »
I'd be tempted to strip that down and get it anodised in black - will it need to inset...? my own idea when I thought it through would have been to cut away a section of the body to allow access to the tuners...

What is that one from...?

neepheid

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2011, 03:19:40 PM »
I'd be tempted to strip that down and get it anodised in black - will it need to inset...? my own idea when I thought it through would have been to cut away a section of the body to allow access to the tuners...

What is that one from...?

I should be able to obtain a black unit at a later date, but a mate gave me the unit for nothing so I'll use it for now.  It does require a recess.  I will recess further back if needs be rather than cutting away a section of the body as I want to retain the Thunderbird shape.

neepheid

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2011, 04:10:32 AM »
I've started to think about the dusty end access (especially as I've secured a 21 fret neck) and came up with this:

I realise this shape change will be heresy to some, but I think it's fairly subtle.  All I'm doing is continuing a line a bit further then ending in a tighter turn where it meets the neck pocket.  What do you think?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 05:10:24 AM by neepheid »