Author Topic: my "new" '86 Peavey Foundation  (Read 7076 times)

ack1961

• View Profile
my "new" '86 Peavey Foundation
« on: February 04, 2011, 08:01:26 AM »
I've been jonesing for a US-made Patriot and a Foundation with Super Ferrites for a while now...
I pulled off a rare Shell station no-play purchase yesterday in Wake Forest.
This Foundation had been neglected pretty bad, but after few hours of disassembling, steel wool, cleaning, some light re-soldering, a new set of strings and I'm a pretty happy camper.  Much to my surprise, I got it intonated pretty easily after some TLC (the bridge & saddles were a real mess).
I also got the original Peavey HSC with it, which ironically, is in fantastic shape.
Not my first choice of colors, but I'm thrilled with the sound -
before:

after some work:

« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 08:12:54 AM by ack1961 »
Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.

Hornisse

Re: my "new" '86 Peavey Foundation
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 08:47:57 AM »
That is a beauty!  I love those old Foundation basses.  I had one in Sunburst back in my 4 string days.

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 08:50:36 AM »
nice work!!! good buy.
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 10:04:53 AM »
Great score!

There's fantastic way to eliminate rust - a product called Evaporust.  I found it on the web - nondestructive, won't harm plating, non harzardous.  About $8 a bottle at Autozone.  Soak the part(s) overnight, rinse with water and the rust is gone.  Fantastic product.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 10:28:32 AM »
Nice cleanup job!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 10:34:43 AM »
Thanks guys.
@ Lightyear - thanks for the tip - I'll go get some today and soak the bridge...there's some light pitting and that stuff might just help preserve it. These bridges are really hard to find. Hell, if it'll help ward off rust, I might just bathe in it myself.

Basshappi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 01:18:01 PM »
Very nice, well done sir!

I have a U.S.A. Foundation carcass that I got for free on ebay (body & neck with tuners). Bought a pair of Super ferrite pups from a very nice person on TB who also sent me 3 vintage Peavey knobs and a trussrod cover, All I need is the correct bridge and a decent workspace and I should be able to bring it back to life. It will be my first Peavey bass and it'll be fun to play an "all Peavey" rig! :D
Nothing is what it seems but everthing is exactly what it is.

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 01:21:36 PM »
That is a beauty!  I love those old Foundation basses.  I had one in Sunburst back in my 4 string days.

yikes...that's gorgeous.

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 01:24:35 PM »
Very nice, well done sir!

I have a U.S.A. Foundation carcass that I got for free on ebay (body & neck with tuners). Bought a pair of Super ferrite pups from a very nice person on TB who also sent me 3 vintage Peavey knobs and a trussrod cover, All I need is the correct bridge and a decent workspace and I should be able to bring it back to life. It will be my first Peavey bass and it'll be fun to play an "all Peavey" rig! :D

good luck with that - that sounds like a really fun project.
If I come across a bridge for the Foundation, I'll let you know.
I've been playing mine upstairs through my TNT130 - the "all Peavey" rig - sounds great!

Hornisse

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 01:28:14 PM »
If you email Peavey customer support with the serial number they can give you the details of the instrument. 

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, 01:41:26 PM »
If you email Peavey customer support with the serial number they can give you the details of the instrument. 

cool. done. thanks!

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2011, 04:23:55 PM »
Thanks guys.
@ Lightyear - thanks for the tip - I'll go get some today and soak the bridge...there's some light pitting and that stuff might just help preserve it. These bridges are really hard to find. Hell, if it'll help ward off rust, I might just bathe in it myself.

The stuff is great.  I'm soaking heavily crusted Stanley wood planes in it and it just eats the rust.  I brush my stuff off with a bronze or stainless toothbrush or scotchbrite.  I've not had any issues with nickel plating - you might want to spot test first though the claim is that this stuff is safe of most anything.

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2011, 04:26:27 PM »
Congrats ack!  8)

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2011, 12:50:28 AM »

Thanks again.  Pretty good Customer Service from Peavey:
I sent them an email request at 15:40 ET and got an email response back 30 minutes later with body color & neck specs, ship date & list price along with the original owner's manual.

Hornisse

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2011, 01:41:48 AM »
Peavey customer service is great.  They give you service even for long discontinued items.