Author Topic: "Money for Nothing" censored in Canada  (Read 5416 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: "Money for Nothing" censored in Canada
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2011, 03:30:55 PM »
Knopfler was no David Lee Roth even as a younger man (he was past thirty when the Dire Straits broke through), but I once read an interview where he said he had overheard remarks of the sort. Don't know if they were his furniture movers though.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2011, 03:43:26 PM »
... sometimes a sour-Kraut...? :o ;)

Can you still give someone a black-look...?

... and heaven help reruns of minstrel shows; Al Johnson will never be seen again...

Better not here, if known.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2011, 04:10:32 PM »
Art should not be censored, be it music, film, or literature. Art can be beautiful or ugly yet always moving. To reshape past works is to edit our history.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Hornisse

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2011, 04:53:14 PM »
Even Charlie Daniels calls the devil a "Son Of A Gun" on some versions of The Devil Went Down To Georgia. 

:rolleyes:

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2011, 05:06:37 PM »
OK, my .02
The problem isn't art or one's ability to express themselves through art form.
The problem is that some people are just never satisfied, and instead of using their creativity to exceed boundaries, they use their "artistic" rights to push decency far beyond their own creative limitations.

There was an exhibit in NYC (and probably elsewhere) where an artist covered a likeness of the virgin Mary with elephant dung.
People went bonkers, and then both sides of the fence spilled into the streets and it became a huge issue.
Being neither an art fan nor very religious, I just thought it was someone's weak attempt at hanging up shit at the Guggenheim (literally), then watching the havoc their "art" created.

If people didn't take liberties with the freedom of expression, pieces of literature and lyrics wouldn't be censored the way they are.
Just like the premise of "Telegraph Rd." - given the opportunity, people will &%#$ everything up.

Then again, I may be wrong...that happens a lot.

Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2011, 05:30:46 PM »
I find it unreasonable that some people who are "in the club" can use a specific word referring to gender, race or sexual preference but get mad when others who are not in that club use the same word. 

If you don't want others to use it, don't use it yourself...and correct others in your "club" when they do.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2011, 06:41:16 PM »
Art should not be censored, be it music, film, or literature. Art can be beautiful or ugly yet always moving. To reshape past works is to edit our history.

Thank you for putting it so simply.

Editing "nigger" out of "Huckleberry Finn" is a travesty. That book is a period piece and everything about it was a sign of the times.

Last year one of the new djs at our station asked if it was okay to play a song with "nigger" in it. It's not on the list which the FCC considers obscene or indecent, so I said yes, it was okay to play it. As an example I referenced Sly and the Family Stones' "Don't Call Me Nigger, Whitey". It was a period song with social commentary and in my opinion it's okay to play. Same with Dylan's "Hurricane".

Well, the urban djs, none of whom were white, said it was "NEVER acceptable for a white person to play a song with "nigger" in it. In my opinion that is stupid, short sighted and completely ignorant of any history of recorded songs. Songs which repeat the word endlessly and gratuitously (oddly, like many hip hop or rap songs) are pointless and, in my opinion, make the artist sound stupid. I also think that endlessly repeating it, even in that genre of music, sets back the efforts of blacks and whites to heal the wounds of the past. My two cents.

Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Hornisse

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2011, 07:22:47 PM »
Possibly one of the funniest movie scenes ever.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2011, 09:40:55 PM »
OK, my .02
The problem isn't art or one's ability to express themselves through art form.
The problem is that some people are just never satisfied, and instead of using their creativity to exceed boundaries, they use their "artistic" rights to push decency far beyond their own creative limitations.

There was an exhibit in NYC (and probably elsewhere) where an artist covered a likeness of the virgin Mary with elephant dung.
People went bonkers, and then both sides of the fence spilled into the streets and it became a huge issue.
Being neither an art fan nor very religious, I just thought it was someone's weak attempt at hanging up shit at the Guggenheim (literally), then watching the havoc their "art" created.

If people didn't take liberties with the freedom of expression, pieces of literature and lyrics wouldn't be censored the way they are.
Just like the premise of "Telegraph Rd." - given the opportunity, people will &%#$ everything up.

Then again, I may be wrong...that happens a lot.

Well said.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2011, 09:51:53 PM »
On another note, "MFN" is essentially harmless - the connotation of "faggot" in that lyric has nothing to do with homosexuality, and most people understand that, IMHO. As Dee Snider once said on Howard Stern's show (paraphrasing)- "No, not THAT kind of fag, the kind like when you were in grammar school"
This coming from a man who basically wore frilly ladies' lingerie onstage in their club days. ;D
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 09:21:44 AM by lowend1 »
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2011, 08:15:42 AM »
There are still what people call "fag machines" round here...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2011, 08:57:31 AM »
There are still what people call "fag machines" round here...

we call 'em PT Cruisers 'round here **

**just kidding - if this offended you, please lighten up

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2011, 09:40:24 AM »
Lighting up...? :mrgreen:

I had some football "buddies" that went on a trip to Fort Lauderdale one year (back in the early eighties) and went up to a bar counter and asked for some "change for the fag machine..."

Apparently you could have heard a pin drop; he had a hard time explaining that in the UK fags is a slang term for a cigarette...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2011, 12:21:14 PM »
yeah, I overheard a guy in Australia ask if he could "bot a fag" back in the '80's.
I kept steered clear of him after sundown until someone explained that he was looking to bum a smoke.

Chaser001

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2011, 12:56:28 PM »
Lighting up...? :mrgreen:

I had some football "buddies" that went on a trip to Fort Lauderdale one year (back in the early eighties) and went up to a bar counter and asked for some "change for the fag machine..."

Apparently you could have heard a pin drop; he had a hard time explaining that in the UK fags is a slang term for a cigarette...

Strangely enough, if they had been in the Deep South, they might have been understood.   I've used the word "fag" to mean "cigarette" myself.