Author Topic: Music videos that feature Thunderbirds  (Read 263365 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Music videos that feature Thunderbirds
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2011, 04:49:09 AM »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2011, 09:24:40 AM »
 Happy to be the first to post something from Tesla with long time Thunderbird player Brian Wheat, this is pretty toungue in cheek fun, he's playing a '76? with obviously modified pups.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftPFhbqQusk
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 10:09:12 AM by TBird1958 »
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2011, 09:35:24 AM »
Yep that was funny.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2011, 11:55:21 AM »
Uwe I don't think the Brits look that disorganizsed  ;) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0-fVLCnsBs

Pah, Brit propoganda!  :mrgreen: Shooting down lonely Heinkels, Dorniers and even a lumbering Ju-87. The Battle of Britain was luckily won by the good guys, but it wasn't a feat of superior organisation, but of daring fighting spirit, sheer luck and an ill-prepared opponent:

Initially the RAF fighters suffered losses for their antiquated WW I tactics of flying closely together in larger groups (dubbed "Idiotenreihe" or idiot row by the German fighter pilots who had less losses than the RAF Fighter Command throughout, it were the German bombers which had the mounting losses) as opposed to the two fighter aircraft "Rotte" of the Luftwaffe (one guy seeking enemy aircraft, one guy protecting his butt). But the RAF learned its lesson quickly and changed tactics to the German system during the BoB.

The Luftwaffe was ill-equipped for a pure airwar, its bombers without enough bombing load and dependent on the protection by Me 109s (after defense by the twing engine long-range Me 110s failed) who had too little range to efficiently engage the RAF fighters in air combat AND keep close to the bombers.

Still, there was a short period during the BoB where British fighter losses were higher than the possible replacements, the bombing of RAF airfields, costly as it was for the Luftwaffe, was taking its toll and proving effective. Had it continued, the RAF would have been at the end of its fighter supply after a few more weeks. It was at that point (and after a Heinkel crew losts first its way and then its nerve and bombed non-strategic parts of London in order to jettison its bombs before flying home thus giving the RAF Bombers an incident for retaliation) that an RAF bomber sortie to Berlin did very little actual damage but provoked Hitler into having the Luftwaffe subsequently bomb London continuously and stop the raids to the individual RAF fighter air strips. A huge mistake/stroke of luck for us all!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2011, 12:07:52 PM »
Albeit with certainly a couple of RAF airmen in their lineage, much-loved Brits Smokie ruled the German air(waves) for the second half of the seventies with their Chinn-Chapman penned country rock, Chris Norman's nasal vocals (allegedly a result of a badly cured severe flu infection) and the regular use of a Bicentennial Donnervogel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXyk-EaT4tE&feature=related

« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 12:14:08 PM by uwe »

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2011, 12:15:31 PM »
Uwe, And I thought you were not paying attention. ;D
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2011, 12:57:37 PM »
Suzi Quattro and her custom made Thunderbird with 2x2 headstock

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EbSYeh4LLk

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2011, 01:11:59 PM »
A buddy of mine still insists that no one has ever seen Suzi Quatro and Rick Derringer in the same room at the same time.  ;)

fur85

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2011, 01:55:53 PM »
Hmmm...

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2011, 02:33:06 PM »
Suzi Quattro and her custom made Thunderbird with 2x2 headstock

That's a Greco.

I'd like to have one of those just for the novelty factor.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2011, 04:13:27 PM »

No slight intended to the RAF but the Luftwaffe was fated to lose the BoB before it started, it was a superb short range tactical airforce well suited to the blitzkreig warfare Hitler conducted on the Continent. The stratigic task of subdueing Britain was never within it's capabilities, (relatively) small numbers of twin engine bombers and short range fighters (operating on low quality, low octane often captured french or dutch avgas) were not, in the long run going to "bomb the Englanders into submission" - Again consider the airforces the Allies mustered to bomb Germany and Japan, the logistics behind those forces were never, ever possible for the Germans and out of the question for the Japanese.

The more I read about the struggle for oil in WWII the more I realize that the axis never stood a chance, Russia and the U.S.had an overwhelming advantage in every aspect of ability to wage war.

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2011, 05:34:57 PM »

No slight intended to the RAF but the Luftwaffe was fated to lose the BoB before it started, it was a superb short range tactical airforce well suited to the blitzkreig warfare Hitler conducted on the Continent. The stratigic task of subdueing Britain was never within it's capabilities, (relatively) small numbers of twin engine bombers and short range fighters (operating on low quality, low octane often captured french or dutch avgas) were not, in the long run going to "bomb the Englanders into submission" - Again consider the airforces the Allies mustered to bomb Germany and Japan, the logistics behind those forces were never, ever possible for the Germans and out of the question for the Japanese.

The more I read about the struggle for oil in WWII the more I realize that the axis never stood a chance, Russia and the U.S.had an overwhelming advantage in every aspect of ability to wage war.

All-in-all, I'd say Germany and Japan came to a gunfight armed with knives.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2011, 05:46:00 PM »
That was even clear to the Axis Powers! Both Germany and Japan started wars knowing that they could only start them now, not 12-24 months (Germany) or even six months (Japan) later. They knew they had to win swiftly or not at all, endurance wasn't really planned. Neither had a plan for conquering the UK or the US (IMHO unconquerable by any outside power, even more so than Russia), both believed that western democracies would not pay the price of lengthy war. A typical underestimation of dictatorships about how powerful, tenacious and brimming with stamina democracies can be. Both the UK and the US suffered what were viewed as crippling defeats in France/Dunkirk and Pearl Harbor, but they were just punch drunk and got back into gear.

Winning WW II in the long run was all about resources, production facilities and manpower. And the gift of democracies to reinvent themselves under pressure, compared to dictatorships they are definitely the more adaptable system.

n!k

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2011, 09:32:39 PM »
Someday, when time machines are invented, there will be a photograph of a Nazi playing a Gibson bass, possibly while riding tail gunner in some form of WWII aircraft, and this board will reach a cosmic singularity.  :D
Half-speed Hawkwind

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2011, 04:48:36 AM »
A buddy of mine still insists that no one has ever seen Suzi Quatro and Rick Derringer in the same room at the same time.  ;)

She was real cute back then. Rick Deringer was never THAT cute. But covering Harley's "Come up and See me" so soon after he had taken it to the charts in his own idiosynchratic fashion was an ill choice. Suzi's version isn't a musical catastrophy with its halftime chorus and even the cheesy synth sounds, but it has none of the vengeful, arrogant sneer of Harley's original which is not a love song but a bitter outburst of his at his original Cockney Rebel bandmates who visited him after a long illness to tell him that they now wanted the band to be democratic and the songwriting split, he would have none of it, most of them joined one of the early incarnations of Be Bop de Luxe in the aftermath. Hence "the rebel" being "pulled to the floor" by their insistence to no longer perform solely his songs (which was the original deal when forming Cockney Rebel, he writes and let's them pretty much do what they want with his material). Harley today says "it was a nasty song written in an ugly mood", he was edgy after a long bout of sickness (pneumonia I think) because it reminded him of his polio-stricken childhood days where he spent more than a year in hospital. With all the bitterness and pettiness in it, he did not think it was even a single until people pressed him to release it as one. It became his milestone hit.  

You've done it all, you've broken every code
And pulled the rebel to the floor
You spoilt the game, no matter what you say
For only metal - what a bore!
Blue eyes, blue eyes, how come you tell so many lies?

Come up and see me, make me smile
Or do what you want, run on wild

There's nothing left, all gone and run away
Maybe you'll tarry for a while
It's just a test, a game for us to play
Win or lose, it's hard to smile
Resist, resist, it's from yourself you have to hide

There ain't no more, you've taken everything
From my believe in Mother Earth
How can you ignore my faith in everything
When I know what Faith is and what it's worth
Away, away, and don't say maybe you'll try

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpJ0cyXbMbI&feature=related

« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 05:09:09 AM by uwe »