Author Topic: Music videos that feature Thunderbirds  (Read 263343 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Music videos that feature Thunderbirds
« Reply #975 on: June 10, 2017, 08:07:25 AM »
In that video it's not living up to its potential. The tone in their videos is never that good but it must be good enough to sell the items to people with enough money.

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #976 on: June 11, 2017, 07:41:26 AM »
I find those videos can sometimes be a bit self-congratulatory and the guy is sometimes pretty reckless in waving instruments around in close proximity to those shelves.

The audio is clearly the weak link in those videos as we are only hearing whatever the built in mic on the video camera is picking up. At times it sort of works better than a dry DI signal, but in the case of the T-bird II I feel we are missing out. I don't think Youtube's compression is the major limiting factor here.

bassilisk

• View Profile
« Reply #977 on: June 26, 2017, 08:29:54 AM »
True American hit monsters (besides the Beach Boys), live in the mid 60's. Love 'em or hate 'em, these dudes were a hit machine well into the British Invasion. We cover a couple of their tunes (Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You/December '63) and they never fail to fill the dance floor. Nick Massi, the bass player, played some pretty busy bass lines on some of their tunes, especially for the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pWBnodrR1M
Stable....for now.    www.risky-biz.com

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #978 on: July 21, 2017, 02:24:57 PM »
Julian Cope, with possibly Donald 'Ross' Skinner playing a non-reverse T-bird with covers intact. It clearly isn't Julian's bizarre double neck T-bird, F-bird mashup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nttnQxRpKrg

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: July 28, 2017, 09:15:41 AM »
Alexander Hacke from Einstürzende Neubauten started out with an Epi Non-Rev (stolen in Italy), moved on to an Epiphone Elitist Rev (headstock brocken off by, no, not United, but rather Finnair) and is now happy with a Gibson Rev with TB+ soapies. He tunes it D A D A (I'm sure there must be an artsy inside joke in that tuning), which opens endless possibilities of doing two power chords with just one finger  :mrgreen: , most Einstürzende Neubauten songs are played with that bass tuning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSIWeGl5BJQ

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: July 28, 2017, 11:19:38 AM »
Could posting that be described as schadenfreude...? It meets all the criteria, mind you... ;)

You mentioned an earlier incarnation, so with my OCD in full force... :vader:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qY3Xh3bM6Y

Some of their earlier material is somewhat more er... industrial...?

The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: July 28, 2017, 02:06:37 PM »
Their early stuff is demanding to say the least.  :rolleyes: Ever since the Millenium and the Silence is Sexy album from which both above tracks stem, they have become this pleasantly artsy band which I much prefer. Blixa Bargeld - their frontman and singer - has charisma. I sometimes think that if the Nazis hadn't taken over in the 30ies and destroyed much of modern German art, then a lot more German bands would sound like Einstürzende Neubauten today.

Here is Sabrina with a Gibson Rev:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1AG8b0cwpE

And here is the original vid, it's a cracker of an intense song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnnGYaqjW-A

veebass

• View Profile
« Reply #982 on: August 06, 2017, 11:59:26 PM »
Not a video, rather a pic from a movie.
American Satan- soon to be released.

TBird, skirt, long legs, plays with a pick, stockings and boots................ who does that remind me of?

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #983 on: August 07, 2017, 04:50:27 AM »
Einsturzende Neubauten was one the bands I was into in college. I had (where is it now?) the DVD of Halber Mensch. A sort of menacing art video of the band playing in a disused factory in Japan. From memory the bassist there was using a black '70s Jazz with block inlays, into an SVT. Blixa Bargeld was playing some sort of beaten up Hofner solid body. The other guys are playing lengths of pipe, shopping trolleys... cool elements of kabuki dance blended into the mix as well, and some cool jump-cut editing for the track 'ZNS'. My favourite is still the opening track Armenia, with Blixa Bargeld looking and sounding almost more like an injured dope-sick insect or dog-man than a human. This dangerously pale, thin man with clumps of hair missing.

As metalhead students we were totally into how brutal and abrasive the band was. I think there was a bonus clip or something on there, called 'Autobahn' or similar. The band are outdoors at a set of roadworks, and one guy is actually shoveling dirt and sand while Blixa sings through pitch-shifting delays and things. I wouldn't imagine a T-bird holding up very long in that sort of environment. There is footage of them playing in a small club somewhere and actually digging up the stage. It makes Pete Townshend, bouncing a Strat off the bottom strap button a few times, look positively childish and tame.

Odd to see Blixa these days as he looks so plump and comfortable; like some sort of rich German producer.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #984 on: August 07, 2017, 09:34:55 AM »

TBird, skirt, long legs, plays with a pick, stockings and boots................ who does that remind me of?

Hollywood can't come up with anything original! I feel so violated!

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: August 10, 2017, 01:07:36 PM »
You haven't been sleeping around again have you...? :mrgreen:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #986 on: August 11, 2017, 01:36:06 PM »
Never noticed this before, because, as much as I love The Cult, this album was the start of the end.  Definately a TBird, but only in momentary snippets vs Duff trying to pull a Slash the rest of the time. Bonus:  Slothead EB about 3 times  for a litterally second each starting at 2:16.  I doubt either of them were the actual bass played on the record (Jamie Stewart was still with them for that record and tour and he was always a P bass man, but I think the vid came a lot later - like 3rd single, and the bassist in the vid doesn't look like him but could be - hard to tell, no real good shots.... the drummer looks like Matt Sorum)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oRwlSIn918
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 01:51:16 PM by Granny Gremlin »
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: August 14, 2017, 03:41:15 PM »

That's an Epi Gothbird.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: August 15, 2017, 08:27:57 AM »
Einsturzende Neubauten was one the bands I was into in college. I had (where is it now?) the DVD of Halber Mensch. A sort of menacing art video of the band playing in a disused factory in Japan. From memory the bassist there was using a black '70s Jazz with block inlays, into an SVT. Blixa Bargeld was playing some sort of beaten up Hofner solid body. The other guys are playing lengths of pipe, shopping trolleys... cool elements of kabuki dance blended into the mix as well, and some cool jump-cut editing for the track 'ZNS'. My favourite is still the opening track Armenia, with Blixa Bargeld looking and sounding almost more like an injured dope-sick insect or dog-man than a human. This dangerously pale, thin man with clumps of hair missing.

As metalhead students we were totally into how brutal and abrasive the band was. I think there was a bonus clip or something on there, called 'Autobahn' or similar. The band are outdoors at a set of roadworks, and one guy is actually shoveling dirt and sand while Blixa sings through pitch-shifting delays and things. I wouldn't imagine a T-bird holding up very long in that sort of environment. There is footage of them playing in a small club somewhere and actually digging up the stage. It makes Pete Townshend, bouncing a Strat off the bottom strap button a few times, look positively childish and tame.

Odd to see Blixa these days as he looks so plump and comfortable; like some sort of rich German producer.

Wow, Alan, you digging Einstürzende Neubaten, now I feel like Jake being amazed that anybody outside of Canada remembers and digs Max Webster!

Blixa has certainly fleshed out, but he still has a fascinating charisma. Doubtful that he is still the angry young man he once was (who is?), Einstürzende Neubauten's Sturm & Drang times are over, these days they inhabit their own avant garde universe of what we in Germany call Kleinkunst. He is a non-singer in a way that Leonard Cohen was a non-singer, but I like the way he uses his voice.

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: August 22, 2017, 09:07:52 AM »
These guys have great sounding music and the bass player seems to favor Thunderbirds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97mzp1clNwQ
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.