Author Topic: Sometimes having a real bassplayer playing makes all the difference.  (Read 1844 times)

Blazer

I'll be frank here, I am a big fan of Genesis and albums like "Duke" recieve regular rotation in both my home entertainment console and the CD player in my car.

One of those songs that I belt out the loudest when I'm playing that album is "Turn it on again" which despite it's odd time signature (It's in 13/8) is such a rocking song and so irrisistable to sing along to. "Turn it on again" has a sequenced bassline played on Moog Taurus basspedals by Mike Rutherford.

When they play that song live, it's the same thing, either Rutherford or Daryl Steurmer is playing the Moog pedals while they both are playing guitars. And that sequenced bassline is relentless and pushy. But I always wondered how it would sound if they would play it with a real life bassplayer, how much the feel of the song would change.

Today I found out. Phil Collins played a concert at Knebworth in 1990 and he brought Mike and Tony Banks out to play "Turn it on again" with Phil's solo band backing them up. And handling the bassduties was the ever so amazing Lee Sklar. Listen how much of a difference Sklar makes in the overal flow and groove of that song.

Without a doubt the best live version of that song ever.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
Re: Sometimes having a real bassplayer playing makes all the difference.
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 10:57:54 AM »

That's fun stuff, he always has such great musicians with him, and for a few moments he actually reminds me of a cross between Dan Akroyd and John Belushi as they looked in the Blues Brothers!
I also have to sub for a sequenced bass in several of our songs, "Words" by Missing Persons and "The Metro" by Berlin......Not always easy to crank it out like a machine would.   
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

rockinrayduke

Re: Sometimes having a real bassplayer playing makes all the difference.
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 11:16:39 AM »
Before I got a Minimoog I had to play the parts on bass "way back when"........wish I still had the damn thing.

chromium

• View Profile