Author Topic: And so I made the first steps in building a Thunderbird.  (Read 2875 times)

Blazer

And so I made the first steps in building a Thunderbird.
« on: April 25, 2008, 07:37:58 PM »
Well all those build reports posted here of people making thunderbirds and Fenderbirds themselves had me inspired and so I set out to go and build one myself.

Problem was that the T-bird is a difficult to find bass and that I needed one to at least trace the body outline so I could make a template. It took me a while but I found a shop that had an Epiphone T-Bird and so I went there armed with a marker and an A2 sized sheet of paper, within two minutes I had what I came for.

After that I bought myself some plywood which will be the base material for the templates of both the body and the neck.

My idea was to make a T-bird from mahogany with a plain maple top finished in two tone sunburst with a single P-bass pickup. And our bassplayer already asked me if I could build him a matte black non reverse with a mirror scratchplate.

Then I had this idea of making "Fenderbird" guitars, to marry the neck and pickups of a Stratocaster to the Firebird body style.

I'll keep you guys imformed.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Re: And so I made the first steps in building a Thunderbird.
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 07:54:23 PM »
Not all Strat pickups will sound good in a bass!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Blazer

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 08:04:50 PM »
Not all Strat pickups will sound good in a bass!

Re-read what I said in my post...

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 07:39:02 AM »
Re-read what I said in my post...

Opps, I had bass on the brain!  Sorry.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2008, 09:20:11 AM »
I would be curious as to how plywood will work tonally.  Structurally it will hold together fine, as many owners of early 60s Japanese guitars will attest, but most modern plywood is a bit heavy on both glue and resinous softwoods.  Unless you are using a type of laminated scrap hardwood, like butcher block.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

Blazer

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2008, 12:26:54 PM »
I would be curious as to how plywood will work tonally.  Structurally it will hold together fine, as many owners of early 60s Japanese guitars will attest, but most modern plywood is a bit heavy on both glue and resinous softwoods.  Unless you are using a type of laminated scrap hardwood, like butcher block.

Again re-read my post, I am going to use plywood to make routing templates from, not the bodies themselves.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2008, 12:35:53 PM »
Hey, at least I read it right the first time.  8)

Be sure those templates are finished in thin nitro.  :P

Blazer

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2008, 10:57:27 AM »

Well here's the finished routing template. Now to get some wood to make bodies from.