Author Topic: Which EB for me?  (Read 20626 times)

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
Re: Which EB for me?
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2008, 07:38:17 AM »
Im converting my sb400 back to orig pups .Maple neck is chunkey so Im fixin that also. I have a set neck EB3 epi carcass Im workin on. I just recd a Artec Sidewinder EBC4-CR. It reads 30K on the meter and I have heard rumors they are pretty sweet.. This bass is  nice mahog etc so Im stoked. i love my Hobbit Ho for short scale and the Guild Im workin on will also be sweet,I hope. Id go for the long scale.Alan Woody was da'chit.
It takes a very deep-rooted opinion to survive unexpressed

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2008, 08:00:02 AM »

"Imagewise, I have doubts though whether a short scale SG body bass will make for an as  striking appearance with Fräulein Rommel as a TBird. Mark looks tall - certainly for a woman!   - and that TBird in his hands together with the drag look will forever echo the late Arthur "Killer" Kane of New York Dolls fame with me. With a stubby little EB I have a hard time getting the mental picture right unless Mark goes through an image change ... Thought about growing a moustache/beard and a fizzled out mullet, Mark"

Uwe, if we went back about 10 years I looked like Slash from G-n-R, except that my hair was a bit longer, did the bandana thing and god knows having that *look* scared the crap out of a lot people, even tho I was the person you guys all know here. And FWIW you're right about the look of an EB on me, I'm 6'0" without platform boots....I need an instrument with some body mass to look right on me.

The idea of getting an EB really is supposed to kinda take me back to my very first bass which was an inexpensive japanese EB copy from the early 70's. Alot of my early influences in rock played Gibsons (Andy Fraser, Jim Lea, Dennis Dunnaway) so when my folks finally relented and put up the $$$ for a beginner bass....well it at least had to*look* like a Gibson  ;D  With the Nasty Habits I'll likely always play 'Birds onstage, aside from how wonderful I think they sound, I simply love the look of them and know I don't need to search any further for a *favorite* bass, color is the only question!    
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2008, 08:41:51 AM »
I love short scale basses, they just don't look that great on a tall person like me while playing a TBird always projects an imposing image.

I've sung the praises of the SG RI and SG Supreme often enough here, you should check one out, Mark. It even has chrome hardware!!! I perfectly understand the nostalgia thing btw.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

rockinrayduke

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2008, 08:50:06 AM »
I like my white Epi so far but I'm having a little trouble getting the action low enough without buzzing. That, and since I glued the ferrules to the body the bridge almost sits on top of the bass. I may go to a Supertone or heavier strings, who knows. BUT, I do like the sound even though to me it sounds nothing like an older EB-3, like Fraser's.

Cosmetically, my main bitch about the Epi is the neck joint but for the $$$ it's a pretty cool bass.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2008, 08:57:23 AM »
The EB-0L and EB-3L from the slothead era do have narrow string spacing, although the advantage is partially offset by the broom handle neck that's almost an inch deep at the nut and about 1.10" at the 12th fret.

But I agree with Uwe, there's something about a short scale EB that the long scale versions don't have. It's not better or worse, just different. If you're looking for something along the lines of Andy Fraser's tone, you're more likely to find it with a short scale.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2008, 09:41:16 AM »
I like my white Epi so far but I'm having a little trouble getting the action low enough without buzzing. That, and since I glued the ferrules to the body the bridge almost sits on top of the bass. I may go to a Supertone or heavier strings, who knows. BUT, I do like the sound even though to me it sounds nothing like an older EB-3, like Fraser's.

Cosmetically, my main bitch about the Epi is the neck joint but for the $$$ it's a pretty cool bass.

Sounds like the trussrod could use a twist or two. Where does it currently buzz?

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2008, 09:50:36 AM »
Im converting my sb400 back to orig pups .Maple neck is chunkey so Im fixin that also. I have a set neck EB3 epi carcass Im workin on. I just recd a Artec Sidewinder EBC4-CR. It reads 30K on the meter and I have heard rumors they are pretty sweet.. This bass is  nice mahog etc so Im stoked. i love my Hobbit Ho for short scale and the Guild Im workin on will also be sweet,I hope. Id go for the long scale.Alan Woody was da'chit.

You have Triumph pups in there currently, right? I always thought them a bit singlecoilish in sound even though they are humbuckers, not satisfied with the result? Of course the original melody maker pups sound great on the SB 300/400 series, a very nice vintage click to them plus an surprising amount of bass.

Not very Allen Woody though, Carol Kaye more like!

Uwe

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2008, 11:00:21 AM »
So, no real love for any Epi version? I was hoping to get away with spending a little less.
This has a good $$$ on it, Orville, anyone? this one makes me feel weak!

http://cgi.ebay.com/GIBSON-ORVILLE-EB-3-SG-BASS-1995-MIJ_W0QQitemZ230245225661QQihZ013QQcategoryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Actually Mark, if you're going the short scale route I'm sure that would be a great platform, even if you wanted to replace the pickups (not that I know of them deeding replacement). I love those Orvilles. When I had to sell stuff off, my Gibson LPs (guitar) were sold while the Orville LP remains. It's one of the best sounding and playing LPs I've ever encountered. I'm sure the basses are of the same quality.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2008, 03:04:27 PM »

Well,

I took a bit of time at lunch today and played an SGRI at the GC near my work.......it was helpful.
Just based on ergonomics I think its going to have to be a long scale bass. What seemed to fit me as a young man isn't going to work now, didn't feel right. I did however like what I heard, so there's some hope for me yet. Scott's suggestion and Rockin' Ray's Epi have me thinking that's the way to go.     
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

rockinrayduke

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2008, 04:00:39 PM »
Sounds like the trussrod could use a twist or two. Where does it currently buzz?

Uwe, I've twisted that trussrod every which way. Right now the strings buzz in the middle of the neck. I can back off the rod to stop it but then the action is a bit too high for me. Frustrating. I may go with a heavier or different string before I plunk down $100 on a Supertone, right now using 100-45 Slinkys.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2008, 04:11:03 PM »
 On my Epi I had the frets dress and that solved the buzzing problem.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

rockinrayduke

« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2008, 07:45:09 PM »
I did have the first 3 frets done, maybe it's time to do the rest.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2008, 11:39:12 PM »
Almost all the new basses I bought and guitars my friend bought (even expensive Gibsons and F****rs, needed some fret dressing.

Getting used to a shortscale goes very fast! The only problem for me is changing from short to long (or the other way around) during a concert. So I always back up my T-bird with another longscale (Burns, F****r) and my SGRI with another shortscale (Starfire, 3000).

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2008, 04:27:19 AM »

Be sure to let us know how that Artec sounds once you install.  I've been surious about their products as well.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!