Author Topic: Single-pickup Thunderbird II Custom Shop  (Read 12239 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Single-pickup Thunderbird II Custom Shop
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2010, 09:03:32 AM »
All my T-Bird saddles are notched - you can't really play them unnotched, at least I can't.

I think they made a few more than two of the full maho neck ones in 1963. I remember a 63 one being for sale on ebay a few years back - had it been one out of two it would have certainly fetched more of a premium (and the seller knew what he was selling though his angle was the early date, not the neck composition though he knew about it and mentioned it). I've seen early 64 models with the full maho neck too, never heard that they are especially collectible though.

IMHO, all structural considerations aside, the nine-ply looks much nicer too. It's a defining trait for a "real" TB in my book, just like the neck-thru structure is. More vital than the color of the hardware if I may coyly add. I'm still waiting for someome here to establish the case how black hardware sounds worse than nickel or chrome.

Uwe
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 11:58:14 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2010, 09:07:52 AM »
I always thought the Embassy necks were full mahogany until I saw the recent purchase by dadagoboi.

Very good point and brilliantly perceptive!  :rimshot:  Indeed, I thought these were like Non-Revs with solid maho necks. Quite possibly, Epi was just using the same wood stocks as Gibson was when the latter still built Rev Birds. Was the Embassy even still being built when the Non Revs came along after the demise of the Revs?

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2010, 09:19:24 AM »
All my T-Bird saddles are notched - you can't really play them unnotched, at least I can't.

Being a pick player I find this to be my case too, my Orville 'Bird has a beatiful two point (of unknown to me origins) that has un-notched saddles, fine for fingerstyle around the house, but that bass is making the trip to Lull's in 2011 and getting notched.

More vital than the color of the hardware if I may coyly add. I'm still waiting for someome here to establish the case how black hardware sounds worse than nickel or chrome.

Uwe

You're gonna call me on Herr Moderator but the TB Plus pups I re-skinned with N.O.S. '76 covers definately sound better, no sound clips right now tho, so you'll just have to trust this girl's word  ;)

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2010, 09:32:16 AM »

You're gonna call me on Herr Moderator but the TB Plus pups I re-skinned with N.O.S. '76 covers definately sound better, no sound clips right now tho, so you'll just have to trust this girl's word  ;)

I trust Mark on this - the force is with him/her :vader: ;D

And poly finishes restrict the tone of wood as well - fact :P ;)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2010, 10:01:48 AM »
Black absorbs. Black covers absorb the tone and heat up the bass. If you're holding the bass body against your body, too much tone will cause the bass to heat up your junk and affect your fertility. This is especially dangerous if you're wearing a skirt. That's why Mark is so insistent on this.

Chrome reflects the tone back to the audience. Too much reflected tone may cause groupies' undergarments to melt, but that's a good thing.

Have I covered everything here, or do I need to explain more?  :mrgreen:

vates

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2010, 10:05:55 AM »
Clear as light. Thank you, Dave.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2010, 10:36:41 AM »

Chrome reflects the tone back to the audience. Too much reflected tone may cause groupies' undergarments to melt, but that's a good thing.

Dave!  ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2010, 10:43:20 AM »
I seriously think that the metal covers add something to the pickup activity whereas the black plastic somewhat limits it. But I do have to say that the black covered Split coil pickups sound Incredible. But not like a T bird pickup, more like a Precision. Hey Uwe, thanks for the info. Happy Thanksgiving to you all!!

mc2NY

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2017, 04:42:37 PM »
Only the 1963 Thunderbirds had a full maho neck, they introduced walnut in 1964. The all maho neck really isn't a quality characteristic, it costs more to do the nine-ply process and it makes sense from a stability prerspective.

I have a faded black one-off from 2006 that - miraculously - has a full maho neck, I guess they couldn't be bothered to find a nine-ply piece of wood in that one singular case. Does it sound different to my other Birds? Not a bit.

Uwe

ZOMBIE THREAD REVIVAL

Hey Uwe......by "full mahogany neck" on the 1963 Thunderbird....do you mean a one-piece neck-thru?

Or was it maybe a two-piece?

Only asking because I own a 1963 Firebird and those real early ones were a two-piece mahogany neck-thru before they went to the 9-piece construction.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2017, 10:24:28 AM »
Duh, good question, I've only seen a picure of one, I didn't notice a two-piece back then, but it might have been a good bookmatch. If the Firebird is two-piece, then I think there is a good chance that the early TBirds were too - Gibson generally didn't stray too much with their basses from what worked with their guitars.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2017, 03:58:34 PM »
I just reread my reply at #19 from 2010. Still a valid explanation of chrome vs. black?  :)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2017, 06:00:17 PM »
Black hardware will always be blighted by its disability to mirror the members of members, it lacks revelatory quality in so far.

George, your ten seconds of internet fame/notoriety please ...

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2017, 04:05:01 PM »
Eleven now.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2017, 06:21:44 PM »