Author Topic: Show off your finished Gibson/Epi project basses - all of them!!!  (Read 15376 times)

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
Re: Show off your finished Gibson/Epi project basses - all of them!!!
« Reply #60 on: June 01, 2008, 04:43:37 AM »
She is a beauty!Tort does belong on Gibbys.
It takes a very deep-rooted opinion to survive unexpressed

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 01, 2008, 05:03:02 AM »
That looks like a really lovely bass ramone57  :)

I have, what was once an early model Grabber (sliding pup model) until it was modified with a new gloss black paint job (not particularly well done) an Active EMG P bass pickup and wiring/pots. The black scratch plate was replaced and reshaped to similar to that of a MM Stingray.

To be honest mine feels like a plank of wood with some fence wire on it. The neck is very plank like in feel. The bass actually sounds quite nice but its not one that I ever play very much. It has given me a bad attitude to Rippers and Grabbers along with my experience playing them in shops, obviously mostly un-setup.

Yours on the other hand looks like what it should have been.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 05:37:09 AM by Freuds_Cat »
Digresion our specialty!

ramone57

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 01, 2008, 05:06:22 AM »
thanks for the kind comments!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 02, 2008, 07:35:54 AM »
my refinned & rewired ripper

Wow, that is a really nice looking bass.  And I do love tort!  Turned out great on yours.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 02, 2008, 10:19:13 AM »
Wow, that is a really nice looking bass.  And I do love tort!  Turned out great on yours.

I second that!  Lovely bass.

ramone57

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 02, 2008, 11:24:50 AM »
thanks guys, although I must say that I had to outsource the refin.  no place to do it and no experience.  my brother-in-law offered to help, but that usually means he ends up doing the work and he's quite busy most of the time.  I did strip the old finish and did the new wiring myself.  it was a great learning experience and a lot of fun!
again, thanks for the kind remarks.   you all do fantastic work so your opinions carry some weight for me.

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 02, 2008, 01:43:03 PM »
Where did you get her? Did you strip it?
It takes a very deep-rooted opinion to survive unexpressed

ramone57

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 03, 2008, 05:36:12 AM »
I picked it up from a shop in Pennsylvania via the net 3-4 years ago.  it was ridden hard and put away wet, so to speak.  lots of battle scars and general neglect but nothing too serious.  some areas of the finish were worn away and the maple was dirty, especially on the fingerboard, so I decided to strip it and clean it up.  it looks much nicer now so it was worth it to me.
the wiring was buggered and needed work, but it's not as easy as it sounds to find all the proper components.  that's one of the reasons I decided to rewire it like an LP.   the other reason was the factory setup doesn't allow the neck pickup to be soloed, which I prefer.
I wasn't too concerned about hurting the resale value because I don't intend to sell it.  in time, it will pass to my son.  I modified it to suit my preferences, since I'm the one that plays it.  all in all, I'm pleased with the results.