Main Forums > The Bass Zone

Multi-track PC recording

(1/1)

PhilT:
Has anyone tried multi-track (ie more than 2 tracks) recording onto a PC? I assume that needs a Firewire interface, rather than USB. Are there any (not too expensive) options for doing this?

Barklessdog:
I use Garage band (standard on all Mac's) and a $69 M-Audio USB interface & record direct.

If you are on a PC can't you get a free copy of Pro Tools lite?

PhilT:
I want simultaneous multi-track recording. That M-Audio box you use only sends two channels at a time to Garageband, doesn't it?

I've just been looking at the M-Audio FastTrack Pro, which as far as I can see sends 4 channels to the PC via USB, but is somewhat more expensive than your $69 box. If I can convince myself it's worth spending 150 pounds on, that might be the solution.

Barklessdog:
there are many multi port USB interfaces , but cost a lot more

chromium:
I use a M-Audio 1814 8in/4out interface.  I got it off Ebay for $300 USD - mainly just in case I needed the extra I/Os for something (recording drums, for example).  What I have found for most of my stuff is that I typically only record 2 tracks simultaneously.  I probably would have been fine with something smaller - like the M-Audio 410.  I've been happy with this interface so far, BTW.  The built-in preamps are kind of meh, but the nice thing is that you don't have to use them.  I use an outboard pre, and that sounds much better.

Most of the audio interfaces on the market that use firewire operate at firewire 400 spec (400 Mbits/sec).  While USB2 (480 Mbits/sec) actually signalls faster than FW400, FW400 can be better at sustained data transfers since it uses its own processor - unlike USB which shares your computer's processor.  Given this info, it might be a better bet to opt for firewire over USB if you have a choice - but the question of whether or not you *need* firewire just depends on what you are doing, how fast/powerful your PC's processor is, etc...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version