Author Topic: Project JAEbird  (Read 99470 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Project JAEbird
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2010, 05:24:11 PM »
Well then, good for you! 
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2010, 07:25:33 PM »
I hope that will be me in 2 -3 years! 
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2010, 07:51:55 AM »
I suspect I'll be in my late 60's before retirement....depends on whether the university does any creative retirement options.  Some days I look forward to heading to work, some days I'd much rather not.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2010, 08:32:46 AM »
i retired when i was 57 after getting laid off. i just said screw it, i've had enough. our house and both cars are paid off.  unfortunately i have no building skills whatsoever to take up my time.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2010, 09:47:13 AM »
unfortunately i have no building skills whatsoever to take up my time.

If you'd "retired" at 30 you would have developed some. ;D.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 11:08:45 AM by dadagoboi »

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2010, 11:29:36 AM »
If you'd "retired" at 30 you would have developed some. ;D.

There's always hope, even for late bloomers!   :P
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2010, 12:01:23 PM »
There's always hope, even for late bloomers!   :P
I agree! 

Been working on proportioning the body and pickguard and it's getting closer.
I took the paper p/g mock up which I had intentionally cut big, taped it to a cereal box and cut out a template.

Transferred that to a piece of 6mm hardboard, cut and smoothed it and attached to a piece of plywood backer board.  That black square is an  $0.88 self stick floor tile from Lowes.  It cuts really easily and is a moneysaver vs using plastic.  Got the idea from somebody at that other forum.

Here's the P/G and cavity cover prototypes (real ones will be 3 ply plastic) after cutting on the pin router.  I think I may be able to bevel the edges using the pin router.  Man, am I digging it!

Cavity cover in place.  For the belly cut I used a Japanese pull saw, chisel and drawknife for the rough out and a belt sander to finish it.  I've considered getting a small shaper for this operation but this was pretty quick and rewarding.  Again, hardwood may be a different story.

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2010, 12:33:50 PM »
pickup placement??  anyone have exact spots?? 

Carlo I am thinking that moving the neck pickup a little closer 1/2- 1 inch may be the perfect spot.  can you tell me what it is in relation to the Bach as the lull in that spot on my th-1 is truely sweet to me.... 

Mark where is the spot of the lull you have????
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2010, 12:41:48 PM »
It's in the exact spot as on my BaCHs and Orville and Gibson NR according to the info I've seen, 10 11/16" from the 12th fret to the mounting screws .  But I'm always looking for more info and it can be easily relocated to wherever you want it.

I could 'swimming pool' the body route and send you the guard without the pup route in it and you can position it as you want then route the guard...the pup ring would cover up any mistakes with that.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 12:52:59 PM by dadagoboi »

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2010, 03:27:22 PM »
I'm a Philip K Dick aficionado...

I really don't like the idea of being "retired..."
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2010, 03:54:34 PM »
How about retarred?  That's how they pronounce it in the south, sort of rhymes with retard...which fits a lot of the time.

By the way, do you have any problems intonating your PC?  The reason I'm asking is that the bridges on the BaCH and Lull 'Birds seem to be larger than they need to be if the bridge posts were positioned correctly.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2010, 04:15:55 PM »
Mine's in the "right" place, intonates perfectly - the layout and dimensions mirror the JAE design, but with a through neck - from what we worked out with advice from the chaps the neck mimics a D profile "P" in shape and thickness... the bridge and tail are Gibson parts, came already gold plated when I got her... I'll measure and confirm with you tomorrow... she's asleep in her case at the moment... ;)

Anything else dimensionally needed, just holler...

(Not sure I like the idea of being retarred and feathered either... :o)
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2010, 04:45:43 PM »
Thanks! No need for the dimensions Kenny.  I was just wondering if there was a reason to make the bridge bigger in order to get it to intonate.  Obviously not.  I was looking at some 19mm (3/4) inch square tube yesterday that could easily be machined into an original Tbird spec bridge.  The gold plating on your parts fits exactly JAE's tastes.  They were probably all done at the same time.  There's a magnificent picture of an ExplorerBird in Bass Culture with all gold hardware and pup covers.

Being a designer of cheap but cleanly designed furniture it's a pet peeve of mine when people with a relatively unlimited budget and a blank piece of paper mangle a great looking design like the Thunderbird bridge/tailpiece combo.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2010, 04:49:15 PM »

Just posted this on the TP thread - E and A are reversed it may be worth knowing... intonation has always been right and what you see above is the same as when I got her and now... - obviously had a slight alteration or two in other departments, mind you...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2010, 05:22:28 PM »
They don't make 'em like they used to!  All you need and nothing more.  I'm using a similar trick with my modded bridge.  E saddle and carrier are flipped around.  A is OK.