Author Topic: My ragdoll Epiphone ET-280 (pic intensive)  (Read 28155 times)

slotrod65

• View Profile
My ragdoll Epiphone ET-280 (pic intensive)
« on: October 08, 2010, 07:27:11 PM »
I recently aquired a used and abused Epiphone ET-280 bass.

This was Epiphone's early 70's, Japanese produced, bottom of the line bass. Single coil PUPs, cheapo thin body, and like it's guitar cousin the ET-270, available in any color you like as long as it is Cherry-burst.

Mine has seen  it fair share of abuse. Unlike many vintage instruments, there is almost no fretwear, or finish wear on the body. Instead, it came with typical teenager bonks and goofs, including a broken nut, several edge chips/digs, a loose pickup, a mismatched string assortment, and a slightly bent tuner. It was pretty grubby too, having probably spent some time in a basement or attic.

The good news? Everything is there, including the original knobs and the bridge cover which was missing from all but one of the other ET-280s I look at.

Someone also had this apart at some point, as the phillips-head screws holding the pickup covers, the bridge and the bridge cover were replaced with not-quite fitting flathead screws.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 07:43:01 PM by slotrod65 »

slotrod65

• View Profile
Re: My ragdoll Epiphone ET-280 (pic intensive)
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 07:31:41 PM »
The electronics worked, but they were scratchy and the bridge pickup had very low output. Examination showed that the pickup was loose in its cover, and the poles were not sticking through as they should. I decided to give this baby the full works, so it was down to the basement for a full disassembly and cleaning:

After the strings, the pickup cover came off. Boy, them are some odd pickups: plastic bobbins wound with the coil, inside was a sheet metal u-shaped piece with the poles screwed in. On the bottom were two magnets. Not glued, or attached in any way...

slotrod65

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 07:36:53 PM »
I soon found out why the pickups were loose in their covers. Underneath was ancient foam from 1972. The covers were screwed down, pressing the pickups against the foam, which is now shot. Both pickups ohm out to 9.7K, so at least they match.

I removed the wire harness from the pickguard, and set it aside. Dig that crazy shield(?) wiring!

At this point, I disassembled and cleaned everything: the body, the bridge, the tuners. The chrome parts (pickup covers, bridge cover, bridge, tuners) were all polished to rid them of years of gunk and some pitting. The pickguard is all scratched up, so it was cleaned, and then polished with plastic polish. It will never be great, but it looks a LOT better..

slotrod65

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 07:39:09 PM »
Then everything was reassembled and the truss rod was adjusted. Tomorrow I will gice the pots a squirt of cleaner, and all solder joints will be checked and redone afresh if cracked or oxidized. I am not going to make a nut for this, so it is now off to my local shop...

My goal is to get this puppy working, and have some fun with it. The body is super thin, so I cannot ever imagine that it will deliver massive sound, but it could turn out to have some useful quirks.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 07:50:10 PM »
Hey welcome aboard! Great thread taking us through getting your new bass up to speed. I hope you end up feeling at home here. We love our Gibsons and Epis!

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 11:05:06 PM »
Well, it was the Epiphone bass that killed the brand, but you'll find that I fly the Epi freak flag pretty high.  Right, Dave?   :mrgreen:

I've got the distant cousin, the ET-288M.

And the '63 Embassy.

My son has my EB-1 RI, which isn't all that great.  The fretless I had before was really nice.

You're in good company here!
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2010, 12:13:43 AM »

Cool  old bass!

Welcome Here  ;D
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2010, 12:23:02 AM »
The body is super thin, so I cannot ever imagine that it will deliver massive sound, but it could turn out to have some useful quirks.

Both my SG Bass and Squier Vista Musicmaster have very thin bodies and can deliver the thunder soundwise, so if the PUPpies are any good you could be surprised  ;D

My son has my EB-1 RI, which isn't all that great.

I had one and sold it off within a year. It sucks, no matter what I tried I couldn't get the action below 3mm and the stock PUP sucks........ All 'n all it's a cheap piece of doo-doo ......  :sad:
Experience is the ultimate teacher

slotrod65

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2010, 05:24:53 AM »
I was wondering.... would it be worthwhile to have the magnets re-energized? Would that help at all? Or could I mess them up? I know a guy who zaps magnets for slot cars, and is very experienced doing it.

Phred

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2010, 10:03:33 AM »
Welcome aboard!!
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2010, 02:42:36 PM »
You could consider replacing the magnets with some of a similar size, then that would mean you could return to the originals without having a no-return route...

Here is a crazy thought - anyone out there ever played with those viscious little magnets you find inside failed hard-drives - there's a pair in every one and they stack quite well - you also get the sideline of really quite unusual drink-coasters...

Welcome to the RatCave... ;D
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2010, 04:39:43 PM »
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2010, 04:57:13 PM »
Really interesting to see the inner workings of a bass that I have never heard of.  Thanks for showing and welcome.
Digresion our specialty!

slotrod65

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2010, 07:27:37 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcom guys! Here is the update from tonight's session with this poor abused bass:

Since I am doing a full clean-and-restore, I picked up some 0000 steel wool at the hardware store today. Then, I taped off the neck to keep the lil' metal bits sort of coralled, and was I ready to clean the fretboard and polish the frets. Note that in the below photo the neck is still on the bass, it is just taped and masked up like I am ready to perform surgery.

check out those nasty frets all gooked up with someone else's 30 year old dried up sweat. eeeeeeeeewwww!

I used the steel wool and a fingernail to get into the edges where the fret meets the board. That is where the all of the gook was. Then I polished the frets and the board crosswise, followed by polishing the length of the neck. This produced shiny, smooth frets and a lustrous fretboard. Who would have known that was under there?

« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 08:00:17 PM by slotrod65 »

slotrod65

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2010, 07:36:02 PM »
Cleanup was easy, as I just waved a magnetized screwdriver around and picked up all of the steel wool fuzz. Finally I took some 2" wide masking tape and applied it to the fretboard for a second just to get any teeny bits of anything left behind.

After that, I set to work on the wiring harness. My initial tests revealed scratchy pots, and a crackling coming from the jack. I heated up the soldering iron, and resoldered the joints to the jack. Once everything was cool, I sprayed out both pots and cleaned the jack with "TV lube". After everything dried, I reassembled the bass. During this process, I replaced all of the crappy flat head screws with the proper size phillips head screws: pickup cover screws, bridge screws, and bridge cover screws.

The bass looks pretty darned good considering how it started out. It is clean and shiny, with just enough real, natural wear and pitting to give it some mojo. No fake relic here!