Author Topic: nut stability issue and a question  (Read 1052 times)

ack1961

• View Profile
nut stability issue and a question
« on: October 07, 2010, 05:59:58 AM »
Hey all - in the process of my 1st build, I screwed up the nut slot in the neck. After cleaning up the slot, it is way too wide for the pre-cut/slotted nut I found and was using as a guide. I have a real wide bone blank that I was going to use as the actual nut, but in order to get things like string/pole-piece and tuner post position down, I sticky back taped the older nut into the slot and started measuring. It's the correct height, but (without string tension) has some wobble to it.  To test the electronics, I just kept the taped nut in there (I was real excited to hear this thing) and strung it up. Fully tensioned, it's OK.  It's like one of those Pergo floating floors...

Here's the kicker:  The bass stays in tune perfectly, and I was able to intonate without a problem. Basically, if I didn't know the nut was taped in, I'd never even think about it.

Here's my question: Will this situation come back to haunt me?  I know that changing strings is going to be an event, but as long as I do them 1 at a time, there shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Also, anyone have any tips for grinding a bone nut down to size?

Thanks,
Steve

Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Re: nut stability issue and a question
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 01:36:05 PM »
Making a nut can be tricky if you haven't done one before.  I usually use my stationary sander to bring one down to size.  Cutting the slots is easier with the correct size files.  I think Stew-Mac has a tutorial on nut making on their site.

If you're happy with the old nut taped into place, just reattach it with a little Titebond to keep it in place.  I've done this before (made the slot too big) and ended up putting in a piece of matching wood in to take up the extra space.  That worked too.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 07:49:23 PM by drbassman »
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
Re: nut stability issue and a question
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 04:40:34 PM »
Making a nut can be tricky if you haven't done one before.  I usually use my stationary sander to bring one down to size.  Cutting the slots is easier with the correct size files.  I htink Stew-Mac has a tutorial on nut making on their site.

If you're happy with the old nut taped into place, just reattach it with a little Titebond to keep it in place.  I've done this before (made the slot too big) and ended up putting in a piece of match wood to take up the extra space.  That worked too.

+1
I've also used a flat file to thickness dimension a bone blank.  Put the file on a table and rub the nut on it.  You can do the same with sandpaper, bone is fairly easy to file or sand.