Author Topic: Carvin B4  (Read 5887 times)

Max Soren

Carvin B4
« on: April 15, 2008, 10:11:54 AM »
Although I'd prefer a second Gibson, I can't afford one.  So I'm looking for a good passive bass that isn't entry level, but not necessarily high end, either.  At the moment, this Carvin B4 can be bought on sale for $629.  Does anyone have any opinions about Carvin basses?

Barklessdog

• View Profile
Re: Carvin B4
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 02:52:11 PM »
They are nice, but a used Peavey might be a bit nicer, tone wise.

I have found Carvins to be really nice playing, but tone wise they are neither great, nor bad, but get the job done. Some of them had neck issues as well. You can always upgrade the electronics & pickups down the road.

Used Carvins are a great value for the money.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 07:18:54 AM by Barklessdog »

Max Soren

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 08:30:03 PM »
Peavey amps and cabs are very popular here.  In fact, I have a Peavey amp myself.  But for some reason almost no one plays Peavey basses, so I've had almost no chance to really look into them.  About six months ago, I did find a Peavey Grind bass on sale online and would have bought it if it hadn't been for the 35 inch neck.  That was just a little too long for someone mostly used to short scale basses.  Of course, a 34 inch neck is fine with me.  I'd be open to the possibility of some kind of Peavey bass, though.  I was talking to the the owner of the local guitar shop several years ago and he did mention Peavey basses to me.  (He has moved out of town now).  He said people in this area underrate them and was a little puzzled by that.  In fact, he was having trouble selling them. 

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 07:23:48 AM »
Cirrus basses are really cool, but would be a bit pricier used. I also like the body look of the Peavey's. Carvin is just OK.

Peavy Cirrus are comprable to USA Carvins. I have never heard anything but praise of Cirrus's, not as much with Carvin. seems like people either love Carvin or indifferent with them.

Resale sucks on both brands, but is a plus if you buy used. You get a $1200 + bass for 40-50% usually in near mint shape!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Peavey-Cirrus-4-BXP-4-String-Electric-Bass-Guitar-BTN_W0QQitemZ350047854278QQihZ022QQcategoryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 09:01:42 AM »
Thumbs down on the Cirrus. Wide-flat back contour of the neck is really uncomfortable to me. And it's a 35" scale.

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008, 10:11:14 AM »
My daughter's ex-boyfriend has a Millenium BXP AC which he loves. And when the preamp packed up out of warranty Peavey UK replaced it for free.

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2008, 09:43:50 AM »

Used Carvins are a great value for the money.

That they are. I have a few Carvins. I bought a TBS4 for the thin neck and quilted top. When I started playing the crowded bars downtown I thought I'd buy a cheap bass that I wouldn't care much when it got cymbal dinged or whatever. I found a B4 on ebay for around a little over $300. It has become my favorite bass. It is very light, has a great neck, plays and sounds great.

Yea, $629 for a new one is a bargian. You won't be disappointed.

Max Soren

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2008, 08:26:44 PM »
I may have to seriously consider this.

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2008, 06:09:20 PM »
the old peavey basses rule T-20's,T-40's,T-45's and the early Fury's are all great and cheap.
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2008, 08:58:40 PM »
I had a Peavey B-Quad-4 for a couple of years that I really loved. The graphite neck was probably THE most comfortable neck I've ever played. It was a great bass with top notch construction. My playing style (sloppy) didn't work well with the graphite and it was a little on the brighter side with it's all maple body, but that was a great bass. I've played quite a few Peavey Millenium's that were super basses espescially for the prices they go for used.

If you're thinking about the Carvin B-4 you could also get the kit and assemble it yourself. It's a little cheaper and might be a cool project.
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2008, 02:40:34 PM »
Although I'd prefer a second Gibson, I can't afford one.  So I'm looking for a good passive bass that isn't entry level, but not necessarily high end, either.  At the moment, this Carvin B4 can be bought on sale for $629.  Does anyone have any opinions about Carvin basses?

Aren't there SG RIs for about that money?

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2008, 08:22:02 PM »
Aren't there SG RIs for about that money?

Not that I've seen, even the faded ones are about $800.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2008, 01:18:39 AM »
But that's quite a small gap... I would wait, save some more money and buy a faded SG RI or something.

Max Soren

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2008, 08:05:31 AM »
But that's quite a small gap... I would wait, save some more money and buy a faded SG RI or something.

I decided last night I would just wait until I can afford a second Gibson, even if it is a used one.  That's what I really want.

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2008, 10:01:47 PM »
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT