Author Topic: '78 P string height problems  (Read 11051 times)

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
Re: '78 P string height problems
« Reply #60 on: October 09, 2010, 07:49:10 AM »
Ok, that worked, but i've got a buzz in two places on the G string. Two frets are a little raised at the end, damn gotta take it to a luthier...or press it down some way

Spend the Luthier money on this book and some tools.  It will pay for itself very quickly (not to mention improve your shim technique).

http://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Player-Repair-Guide-Book/dp/0879309210

This is the 3rd edition, I have the first.  Don't think there's much difference

Iome

• Born to rock..forced to work
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 10, 2010, 06:49:23 AM »
Are you saying that my shim technique needs improvement? are you?  ;D looks like an interesting book, i might give it a try.
I'll try to press down the two frets.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #62 on: October 10, 2010, 07:05:31 AM »
Are you saying that my shim technique needs improvement? are you?  ;D looks like an interesting book, i might give it a try.
I'll try to press down the two frets.

No, just saying that if you had this book you would know that shimming ain't sinning- even with a vintage Martin. ;D

Seriously, that book will answer questions you didn't even know you had and will result in a better set up, intonation and general understanding on what makes a bass an instrument as opposed to an "axe."  When you go to a luthier you're paying him for his knowledge and experience.  Dan Erlewine is arguably the most knowledgeable and experienced luthier in the USA.  He sometimes gets carried away with specialized tool use but at the least you get a good idea of what's possible to do yourself without making a disastrous mistake.

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 10, 2010, 08:24:04 AM »
No, just saying that if you had this book you would know that shimming ain't sinning- even with a vintage Martin. ;D

Seriously, that book will answer questions you didn't even know you had and will result in a better set up, intonation and general understanding on what makes a bass an instrument as opposed to an "axe."  When you go to a luthier you're paying him for his knowledge and experience.  Dan Erlewine is arguably the most knowledgeable and experienced luthier in the USA.  He sometimes gets carried away with specialized tool use but at the least you get a good idea of what's possible to do yourself without making a disastrous mistake.

+1  very good book.  easy to understand too !!!
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 10, 2010, 12:22:10 PM »
+2

I bought that book in 1994 and it's paid for itself many times over.

Iome

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 11, 2010, 01:18:06 PM »
As someone suggested, i've checked the buzzing frets and have seen that some are actually loose at the edge, there's two on the E side and two on the G side, they goes back into the slot with the pressure of a finger so i have decided to try and glue them. But how the hell do i clamp them? I don't have some kind of neck holder and i can't fasten the clamp (with a piece of wood to protect from marks) to the round back of the neck. I guess there's a logic answer, but i don't get it, can you help me, thanks.

I guess i really need that book, guys.....

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #66 on: October 11, 2010, 01:40:56 PM »
With CA glue of the right viscosity, no clamp is needed.  You just have to hold the fret down for 15 seconds or so...but get the book before you glue your finger to you fretboard!

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 11, 2010, 02:45:25 PM »
...but get the book before you glue your finger to you fretboard!

I swear that's what I'd do!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #68 on: October 11, 2010, 03:40:25 PM »
I'd comment but my fingurz is gluuuued to da frety#rw*e[rjboard.......
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 11, 2010, 05:38:08 PM »

Iome

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 11, 2010, 11:38:53 PM »
 ;D ok, i need the denser one then. I think i can handle it, i've been glued to many thinks over the years and got away with it  ;D