Author Topic: i need some help gang - Colby Bass  (Read 106381 times)

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
i need some help gang - Colby Bass
« on: September 16, 2010, 06:30:46 PM »
i have been trying for over two years to get a person to build for me. now it is happening except for one small detail. which way do i want the boards to top the build?

choice 2:

or choice 1:

i think i have made a choice then i turn the boards over and damn...i dunno!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 05:40:10 AM by drbassman »
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
Re: i need some help gang
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 12:28:45 AM »
My wife and I agree: choice 2.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 03:56:38 AM »
Number one is more symmetrical, gets my vote.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 05:31:35 AM »
Number one is more symmetrical, gets my vote.

+1.  I like the symmetry.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 05:48:47 AM »
Go to the ReRanch forum and look at posts from member named "dougk" and you'll see some of the finest splatted top guitars ever built IMHO.

He's a custom builder and has done a ton of splatted maple guitars and posted several different threads about them:  http://www.reranch.com/reranch/viewtopic.php?t=37759
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 05:51:00 AM »
I kinda like choice 2, but you'll have to live with it, so make yourself happy!

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 06:03:17 AM »
Basically you're dealing with two dimensional design here.  You can do it like most of us learned to play bass, seat of the pants.  Or you can steal some stuff from the pros (come to think of it...) and modify it to your own tastes.

http://www.graphic-design-info.com/article_principles_of_design.php

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 07:39:04 AM »
i think some people may think choice 2 is choice 1 because of the order they are listed. ???

i like choice 2, the first picture.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 08:05:08 AM »
i think some people may think choice 2 is choice 1 because of the order they are listed. ???

Thanks for pointing that out!  #2 top for me.

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 08:25:26 AM »
well, 2 it is then. thank you all for your help in making my choice. symmetry in nature is often percieved as beautiful. i have to get this out to the builder soon and i am sure the builder will reveal who they are and post pictures as the work progresses but i am in no hurry for completion as planning is a lot of fun.

i had to postpone another build with another person because of my broken foot...my foot and calf muscles atrophied a bit while in the cast for 8 weeks and i had a small disaster in my storage facility. three necks and one box of pickups seem to be misplaced. it will be  difficult to work with my left foot for a little while and the lost parts are needed for the other build, but it will happen.

it is just the order i posted the images from photobucket.
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2010, 08:43:05 AM »
Good luck with the foot!  I've never broken a bone and can only imagine what it's like to have a cast and the resultant issues afterwards.  Get well quickly!

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2010, 09:03:02 AM »
Good luck with the foot!  I've never broken a bone and can only imagine what it's like to have a cast and the resultant issues afterwards.  Get well quickly!

thank you Dr.

this was officially my first diagnosed break. in retrospect i realize it was not my first break but i am pain free now as long as i do not overdo it and let this therapy part of recovery happen. i have not burnt any bridges with the other build artist/craftsman but am keeping a channel of communication open as the other build will prolly happen next year. i did not want to put if off any longer but it looks like a move to the Sacramento/Marysville area from little Pecos, TX might be on the horizon so priorities are what they are.

another note is one of my baby girls is having a baby girl. just found out the gender of the baby this morning and officially "it" becomes a she. her name is to be Colby and she is due to arrive about Oct 17th according to the stork schedule

on another side note: i recieved an email from Curtis Novak telling me his shop equipment had arrived and he is in the process of setting up his shop. no word on the state of the choke/filters as i am sure he has a backlog because of his move across the states.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2010, 09:46:22 AM »
I've broken a few things in my time... not all mine... :o

Good luck with the mending and for the new G/D...

Just another thought (and sorry if it causes a rethink) re the spalted blocks - they (appear to be) are not perfectly symetrical, which I presume is a trick of the image... what if they were spun, to produce a line through that carrys on, like a lightning bolt...?

What body shape are you aiming for, Bill...?
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2010, 11:41:14 AM »
i bought a 20$ LP Ash body that needs sawn in half and reglued. the original glue seam is for crap and actually not glued on both ends. i also bought a 48" piece of Mahogany rather cheaply to make a skunk stripe when doweling and glueing it back together.

a walnut thin to go between the top cap and the ash  body

a 20$ Epi neck that needs a bit of fixing and is going to become 32" scaled. i like these necks as they feel like a "J" and are a light neck.

with a Dark Star DS2 trimmed in black, a black Schaller bridge and eventually a set of black Grover or Hipshot tuners and a bone nut, with a polished brass bridge cover/hand rest to go with the black trim
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 09:48:31 PM by sniper dog »

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2010, 12:34:48 PM »
In 1966 I was hit by a car while on a motorcycle and almost lost my left leg...was in a cast for six months, with the foot, ankle and shin the last parts to be freed.  Took months for that ankle to work well, and it never has quite fully regained full flex, although it's within a few degrees of it.

Hope your ankle movement returns much more quickly!!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."