Author Topic: Question about BachBird pickup location  (Read 2255 times)

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
Question about BachBird pickup location
« on: October 08, 2011, 03:33:14 PM »
I have one of the thin-bodied, single pickup BachBird's and I'm getting ready to change out the pickup for a Gibson TBird Plus. My question is this: Did any of you change your pickup location when you swapped out your original pickups for upgrades? I know that Chromium changed his a little, but just wondered if anyone else did too. Is the Bach pickup in the same location that the original Gibson would have been, or is it the standard "sweet spot" of say a Pbass? The original Bach pickup sounds fine where it is located, but I didn't know if anyone had a better location for it. I just need to get this sorted out before I have the new pickguard made.

Thanks for any help.
Andy
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

Iome

• Born to rock..forced to work
    • View Profile
Re: Question about BachBird pickup location
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 12:54:54 AM »
If i'm not wrong, Rob sended the drawing with all the measures to Bach, so the p.u. is in the same location as the original Gibson.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 12:23:52 PM »
Yes I did.
But with BaCH that is no guarantee the pickup ends up in the right place  ;)

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 12:58:33 PM »
Thats what I thought. I knew you gave them the proper layout and spec's, just wasn't sure if the pickup location was one of their changes. I will probably just leave the pickup in it's current location.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 01:39:37 PM »
Andy, check the dimensions with Rob's master pattern, or if you want to be doubly certain pm Uwe or Scott and iirc George had a picture with the dimensional layout of an NR...?
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2011, 02:16:06 PM »
I think I moved my neck pickup about 1/2" closer to the fretboard (had to route the pickup cavity there a bit larger).  I had used George's photo that was marked up with the measurements from an original TB IV as reference, and tried to get everything positioned as closely as possible.  It was a challenge - the BaCH is pretty close, but definately not dead-on.

I have the photo with the meausrements posted in my blog here (about half-way down):   http://www.hillscloud.com/2011/06/refinishing-a-thunderbird-bass/
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 02:23:20 PM by chromium »

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2011, 05:15:08 PM »
Rather than measuring from the pickup to the end of the fretboard it might be a better idea to measure the pickup's diatance from the bridge or the nut. The length of the fretboard might be different from the original too.

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2011, 06:27:43 PM »
Based on George's pic on Chromium's blog, my pickup is in the correct spot. Guess I don't need to worry about it. I do need to route the cavity a little tho. The Gibson pickup is larger than the original.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2011, 08:24:40 AM »
Based on George's pic on Chromium's blog, my pickup is in the correct spot. Guess I don't need to worry about it. I do need to route the cavity a little tho. The Gibson pickup is larger than the original.

The pup on the white one I had matched George's pic, I know that for sure.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2011, 04:19:16 PM »
I do need to route the cavity a little tho. The Gibson pickup is larger than the original.

Bet that's what the deal was with mine then, and the reason I had to route it.  For some reason I thought I had to reposition the pickup a bit.  Probably just the paint fumes talkin'  ;)

hollowbody

• Been working in the Kremlin with a two headed dog.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2011, 07:50:44 PM »
I have a second run, and I needed to move my pickup about 1/2" closer to the bridge.  Since I used a 60's nickel pickup I didn't have to reroute anything.  I just plugged the hole and mounted it to the body.