Author Topic: BaCH Bird TUNE UP  (Read 1786 times)

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
BaCH Bird TUNE UP
« on: August 25, 2010, 11:50:50 AM »
The sound of my BaCH left something to be desired.  I initially attributed it to strings, changed the G for another off a Tbird that sounded good.  Did not help.  I had already worked on the nut so I knew that wasn't the problem.  Looked at the bridge and realized the strings were hitting the back rail.  Not good for sound transmission IMO.  The higher the bridge is set the worse it gets.  I play very low action.  Got out my needle files and filed slots in the back rail of the bridge.  The G was the worst, had to file a little of the flat of the saddle nut to get clearance.  All good now, when you pluck behind the bridge you get an actual musical sound, which is usually the case with Tuneamatic type bridges.  Did this really do anything?

BEFORE (note strings resting on back bridge rail)

The G SLOT nailed

ALL BETTER

I bought a 60's pup on Ebay as part of the project to attempt to manufacture repros.  The one I got is a late 60's 9.6k chrome cover.  I'm trading it to Baz for a nickel 7.3 but figured I'd see what this one sounds like before sending it off.  Changed the pots and capacitor to CTS and Sprague .047.

Total Nut Job with Rotosounds, the original still the best IMO.

Strung Up Bird

Changing the pup sort of destroyed the objectivity of the tuneup but the 'Bird has definitely taken flight after the changes.  After hearing it I called Baz and asked him to let me hang on to this one until the other gets here so I can record them both for comparison.  THANKS, BAZ!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 05:10:26 PM by dadagoboi »

chromium

• View Profile
Re: BaCH Bird TUNE UP
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 02:43:35 PM »
Good info!  Mine has that same phenomenon of the strings resting on the back edge of the bridge, but its self-inflicted.  I had moved the tailpiece closer to the bridge during the "60s NR face-lift" knowing that would happen.  I wondered if I should do something like that (cut notches) ???  It sounds great, though, so I had just left well enough alone.

Sometimes pickup height adjustment has an impact too.  I had a jazz bass with lame D and G strings, and playing around with pickup height fixed it.  Magnetic pull from the pickup deadening the strings, or something...
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 02:52:44 PM by chromium »

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 02:58:42 PM »

Sometimes pickup height adjustment has an impact too.  I had a jazz bass with lame D and G strings, and playing around with pickup height fixed it.  Magnetic pull from the pickup deadening the strings, or something...

Very true, that was one of the first things I tried but it had no effect.

PeterB

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 04:59:21 PM »
Interesting about that bridge. Hadn't noticed it on my BaCH Bird, but I'll check for it tomorrow.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 08:37:58 AM »
Interesting about that bridge. Hadn't noticed it on my BaCH Bird, but I'll check for it tomorrow.
Look forward to it and your assessment on how it might affect tone.

PeterB

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2010, 09:44:09 AM »
Checked it today, and on my BaCHBird it's exactly like on your's before: strings resting on the back rail. I'm still wondering how it would affect the tone.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2010, 10:55:09 AM »
I'm still wondering how it would affect the tone.

I've been thinking about it since I modded mine.  I keep coming back to the muffled sound behind the bridge and the thoughts that:

1) Some of the energy intended to be transferred directly from the saddle to tailpiece to the tailpiece is staying in the bridge.

2) On other similar style bridges I'm aware of the strings do not contact the back of the bridge.

At the least I don't think I've done any harm.  I don't know if I've improved anything.