Author Topic: NBD '65 EB-0 Pelham Blue  (Read 3502 times)

4stringer77

• View Profile
Re: NBD '65 EB-0 Pelham Blue
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2014, 01:47:08 PM »
Got back my EB-3 and absolutely adore the GHS brite flats on it. The baby blue silks at the headstock look nice. The tension feels tight but that's a good thing for a short scale IMO. Added an Allen wrench under the neck pickup cover on the E string side and have to say that to my ears it definitely helped make the E string louder. It's also possible the strings may be helping with the balanced output as well. I have no hesitation giving GHS Brite Flats a ringing endorsement with bells on, especially for short scale Gibsons.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Houdini

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2014, 11:03:38 PM »
Got back my EB-3 and absolutely adore the GHS brite flats on it. The baby blue silks at the headstock look nice. The tension feels tight but that's a good thing for a short scale IMO. Added an Allen wrench under the neck pickup cover on the E string side and have to say that to my ears it definitely helped make the E string louder. It's also possible the strings may be helping with the balanced output as well. I have no hesitation giving GHS Brite Flats a ringing endorsement with bells on, especially for short scale Gibsons.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will definitely try them.
The output is very balanced, much more than my Rickenbacker 4004, unfortunately.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2014, 07:47:33 PM »
Keep in mind that GHS Brite Flats are not flatwound strings. They're ground roundwounds. Different sound.

Of course that's irrelevant if you like how they sound.

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2014, 08:16:10 PM »
They're unique strings in many ways. The wrap is alloy 52 and that material sends a nice hot signal to the pick ups. The mids have a nice balance articulation like a round but less sparkly treble and grind than a roundwound. They thump like a good flatwound and can take on a heavy handed player with ease. I think that's my favorite thing about them is that you can just pummel the snot out of them and they stay resilient and in tune.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2014, 07:42:47 AM »
I used Brite Flats on my first Ric for a short while when I first got it. Back then they shipped with flats, and rounds allegedly voided the warranty. I liked em. A good "in between" string. But I soon went full-on round wound. Had to get the clank!

cmaj

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2014, 04:38:06 PM »
Lovely bass--play it long, loud and proud!

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2014, 02:40:20 AM »
Okay, GAS.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2014, 02:47:46 PM »
Lovely bass--play it long, loud and proud!

And embrace the deepness. 
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 07:41:01 PM by westen44 »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal