Author Topic: 1st build - hybrid  (Read 9950 times)

ack1961

• View Profile
Re: 1st build - hybrid
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2010, 03:25:18 PM »
Good point. The Fender has a wider spacing and can be used in the bridgeposition without any problems of output/stringbalance. Reversing the pup locations will probably save you a lot of trouble.

And besides that: that Fender at the bridge will scare the #%#% out of you, so much power, it will make a Stingray cry for his mom.  8)  One of my fellow bassplayers judged my Lotto as the best Stingray-sound ever, with the bridgepup solo'd. 

Boy is that nice.
Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.

PeterB

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2010, 03:39:49 PM »
Thank you!  :)

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2010, 05:41:00 AM »
Thank you!  :)

Mind if I pick your brain?
What technique did you use to cut and edge your pickguard? It's really, really nice and it fits the contours of the bass so nicely.

On mine, I used a jigsaw to cut the straight edge, and tried to use the router (freehand) to bevel the curved edges, but it turned out horrible.
The router bit (which is brand new) wanted to really chew up the sides of the pickguard instead of exposing all three layers.

I'm sure that part of the solution is lots of practice, that's why it doesn't bother me on my first build, but in the future...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2010, 03:12:33 PM »
DO NOT FREEHAND WITH A ROUTER!  I've got a jangly tendon and a $1500 ER bill from last month to prove it.

If you want to try to freehand bevel, use a dremel tool, with a mini drum sander or a hand file.  The correct way to bevel a guard starts with making a template out of 1/4" masonite. rough cut your guard, carpet tape it to the template and use a flush trim bit to get the shape.  Then use a 45 degree bevel bit with pilot bearing to do the bevel.  You can check out my Fenderbird Resurrection thread, pg 3, for the template I did for that one.  I drilled the mounting holes with the guard attached to the template so I could duplicate it if I build another.

PeterB

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2010, 03:33:28 PM »
That's the right way, I second that: use a template for the guard.  :)

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2010, 05:14:48 AM »
DO NOT FREEHAND WITH A ROUTER!  I've got a jangly tendon and a $1500 ER bill from last month to prove it.

If you want to try to freehand bevel, use a dremel tool, with a mini drum sander or a hand file.  The correct way to bevel a guard starts with making a template out of 1/4" masonite. rough cut your guard, carpet tape it to the template and use a flush trim bit to get the shape.  Then use a 45 degree bevel bit with pilot bearing to do the bevel.  You can check out my Fenderbird Resurrection thread, pg 3, for the template I did for that one.  I drilled the mounting holes with the guard attached to the template so I could duplicate it if I build another.

Thanks for the tips.  I'll cut a template today - maybe I can save that curved edge.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2010, 08:28:20 AM »
I have cut the edge of a pickguard with a simple metal cabinet scrapper.  Easy and safe!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2010, 10:06:23 AM »
I got the 1st coat of Sanding Sealer 220'd off - still deciding whether or not to apply a 2nd coat.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 10:18:22 AM by ack1961 »

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2010, 10:07:45 AM »
I have cut the edge of a pickguard with a simple metal cabinet scrapper.  Easy and safe!

I'm wordworking challenged, but highly intrigued.
Care to elaborate?
Thanks,

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2010, 09:08:26 AM »
dorking around with headstock design. I love the 3+1 arrangement:

My son and I both really like this one:

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2010, 10:12:36 AM »
I'm wordworking challenged, but highly intrigued.
Care to elaborate?
Thanks,

These are cabinet (woodworker's) scrapers.  You put an edge on them and use them to scrape wood and other edges or surfaces.  I often scrape first and then sand many guitar surfaces because scraping is faster. 

You run the scraper along the edge of the PG material at a 45 degree angle and you get a beveled edge.  It takes patience and practice, but it's fine if I'm doing a one-only PG and don't want to spend the time making a template.  Nothing spectacular, just another way to git er done.

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2010, 10:20:52 AM »
Thanks for the reply & the pictures - very much appreciated.
I searched on YouTube yesterday and found a guy explaining how to use (and sharpen) these blades.
For my application, I think your idea is going to work fine.  I'll practice on the part I cut off.

Again, thanks for the thoughtful reply.

Steve

These are cabinet (woodworker's) scrapers.  You put an edge on them and use them to scrape wood and other edges or surfaces.  I often scrape first and then sand many guitar surfaces because scraping is faster. 

You run the scraper along the edge of the PG material at a 45 degree angle and you get a beveled edge.  It takes patience and practice, but it's fine if I'm doing a one-only PG and don't want to spend the time making a template.  Nothing spectacular, just another way to git er done.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2010, 11:04:01 AM »
My pleasure.  I learned from someone in a forum just like this one!

Thanks for the reply & the pictures - very much appreciated.
I searched on YouTube yesterday and found a guy explaining how to use (and sharpen) these blades.
For my application, I think your idea is going to work fine.  I'll practice on the part I cut off.

Again, thanks for the thoughtful reply.

Steve

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2010, 09:55:35 AM »
Almost done! - it's all tested and it sounds huge.
Gotta shield the cavities and fix the nut and find smaller screws for the bridge pickup cover...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2010, 10:12:34 AM »
Magnificent.  That finish is beautiful!  How's the balance?