Author Topic: 1st build - hybrid  (Read 9967 times)

ack1961

• View Profile
Re: 1st build - hybrid
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2010, 07:43:27 PM »
Getting there...and I still have all 10 fingers.
I got all the routs done and all the wiring channels drilled through.  Cut an old Jazz pickguard and routed a pup opening.
Got about 30 minutes of 100 grit sanding done.  Probably hit it with 220 tomorrow and then some sanding sealer, some light 220, then some poly spray (that part scares me).
So far, this build has cost me $8.63 (for a Telecaster Output Jack Cup) & I had to buy some Electrostatic Paint (that crap ain't cheap - holy cow!!)

« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 07:52:47 PM by ack1961 »
Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2010, 08:16:25 PM »
Looking good!  Especially for $8.63! ;D

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2010, 04:07:43 AM »
Killer!  Very clean work.

...anybody try using heavy duty aluminum foil for shielding?  I've pretty much stopped bothering with using any shielding with no bad effects.  I'd spend the money on some intermediate grades of sandpaper.  I like 80/120/180 then sealer.  240/320/ possibly 400 before poly.  No fil paper with 3M hard rubber sanding block.  Stay off the edges until last, they pretty much take care of themselves.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2010, 05:05:29 AM »
Never been a Tele fan but gotta admit... 8)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2010, 07:44:57 AM »
Killer!  Very clean work.

...anybody try using heavy duty aluminum foil for shielding?  I've pretty much stopped bothering with using any shielding with no bad effects.  I'd spend the money on some intermediate grades of sandpaper.  I like 80/120/180 then sealer.  240/320/ possibly 400 before poly.  No fil paper with 3M hard rubber sanding block.  Stay off the edges until last, they pretty much take care of themselves.

Thanks for the tips. 
I'll keep at it, and follow your sanding advice.  Any tips as for what to feel for - when you know you're done sanding?  Am I looking for that glass-like - no grain feel?

I must admit, building this thing has been one of the most therapeutic things I've ever done.
Even the mistakes (this project started as a shortscale telecaster bass, but I royally screwed up the neck pocket) have been interesting.

Steve

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2010, 08:22:54 AM »
Thanks for the tips. 
I'll keep at it, and follow your sanding advice.  Any tips as for what to feel for - when you know you're done sanding?  Am I looking for that glass-like - no grain feel?

I must admit, building this thing has been one of the most therapeutic things I've ever done.
Even the mistakes (this project started as a shortscale telecaster bass, but I royally screwed up the neck pocket) have been interesting.

Steve

It IS about feel... and using a block behind your sandpaper from the beginning to level the surface.  Otherwise you will be just turning mountains into hills with the finer grits and the finish will always have ripples.  Fingertips will tell you a lot, sometimes more than your eyes.  The best teacher I've had on how to do solid finishes was a DIY booklet on auto body painting.  That and lots of practice.  Using a low angle light source can help to show imperfections.

Glad you're having fun, the results are showing it.

PeterB

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2010, 01:01:12 AM »

Very nice project, for sure for this money.  :)

One thing: I really think you will be having a problem with the output/stringbalance. The bucker at the bridge isn't that well suited for this kind of stringspacing (unless this bridge can be adjusted for smaller spacing). I've done a "JazzBird" in the past with a mudbucker on the position of the neck-Jazzpup, and with that project I noticed that the E and G string had far less output.

I found a way to fix this for the biggest part, the trick is to extend the magnetic field. This was later called by Rob (Basvarken) as the "Nail-That-Tone" method  :mrgreen:

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2010, 03:57:18 AM »
That turned out really nice!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

PeterB

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2010, 04:59:39 AM »
Thanks, Doc! I always liked the idea of a "Mel Schacher-mod", but I never succeeded to make it sound just "right". The bad string-balance didn't help either.  :)

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2010, 06:18:14 AM »
Thanks for the replies.

The string spacing issue was one of the reasons that I ripped the Schaller Roller bridge off an SX Jazz bass that I don't like very much.
The Schaller also has a shim plate and together they add substantial weight over the bent bridge I was going to use.

Before I cut the nut & nut-slot, I'm going to see if I can find a decent string balance between the two pickups.  I flipped over and lined up the pickup covers of the two pickups and they're close enough that I think the rollers should be able to compensate.

All that being said, this thing might still sound like hell when I'm done.

I like the Allen key solution.  Great stuff.

Very nice project, for sure for this money.  :)

One thing: I really think you will be having a problem with the output/stringbalance. The bucker at the bridge isn't that well suited for this kind of stringspacing (unless this bridge can be adjusted for smaller spacing). I've done a "JazzBird" in the past with a mudbucker on the position of the neck-Jazzpup, and with that project I noticed that the E and G string had far less output.

I found a way to fix this for the biggest part, the trick is to extend the magnetic field. This was later called by Rob (Basvarken) as the "Nail-That-Tone" method  :mrgreen:

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2010, 06:57:43 AM »
Dude, you're scaring me with the attention to detail on your first build. ;D

...any consideration on reversing the pup locations?  Doesn't the Fender have a wider spacing?  I'm sure you have your reasons for wanting the bassier pickup at the bridge but SOP over the years has been to get treble out of that area since it produces more of those overtones.  What are you looking for tonewise out of your setup?

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2010, 07:12:50 AM »
Dude, you're scaring me with the attention to detail on your first build. ;D

...any consideration on reversing the pup locations?  Doesn't the Fender have a wider spacing?  I'm sure you have your reasons for wanting the bassier pickup at the bridge but SOP over the years has been to get treble out of that area since it produces more of those overtones.  What are you looking for tonewise out of your setup?

Great question - I originally wanted to use only the Fender humbucker in the neck pos.  While my son and I were out buying something off CL earlier this year, the seller found the Gibson pup in a box and gave it to us.  My son remembered that pickup and the telecaster 3-way control plate and really wanted to put it in the bridge pos - honestly, as of that moment, I figured that the sound was going to suffer a bit, but it's all good. The build is important, and he's been interested in helping out.  Hanging out in the shed and cutting stuff together.

The next build - using a nice Walnut piece - will be all about tone and function. Be warned everyone...I'll have lots more questions on that build.

Cheers.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2010, 08:14:56 AM »
Great going, Dad!

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2010, 12:59:50 PM »
Great going, Dad!

Yeah. Why burst his bubble? He'll have the rest of his life to deal with minor disappointments.
This build is also one of those things that a dad and a 17 year old can do together - no girlfriends, band-mates, school issues, etc. getting in the way.

PeterB

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2010, 02:12:39 PM »
...any consideration on reversing the pup locations?  Doesn't the Fender have a wider spacing? 

Good point. The Fender has a wider spacing and can be used in the bridgeposition without any problems of output/stringbalance. Reversing the pup locations will probably save you a lot of trouble.

And besides that: that Fender at the bridge will scare the #%#% out of you, so much power, it will make a Stingray cry for his mom.  8)  One of my fellow bassplayers judged my Lotto as the best Stingray-sound ever, with the bridgepup solo'd.