Author Topic: Max Webster  (Read 11952 times)

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
Max Webster
« on: July 18, 2010, 03:17:07 AM »
Any fans? I discovered them about 14 years ago, a friend made a tape with "Battlescar", "In Context Of The Moon" and "Beyond The Moon". Of course I later discovered they were capable of much more than 'just' playing heavy prog and nowadays I think them as a hard rock's NRBQ if you get my point. :) Of the individual players my fav is Terry Watkinson: a great keyboard player, as underrated as, say, Hugh Banton of VDGG.

Samples from every studio album:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwtFirrdNL4
(The middle part reminds me of Little Feat)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jx5ZFO7SL7k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmWyu21pYbQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMb1Y2YaHOQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQVbaW6IZFo

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: Max Webster
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 05:35:44 AM »
Saw them three times - supporting Rush and in their own right at London's Marquee Club, 1980 iirc - Kim Mitchell has carved out a little niche for himself back in the land of the Hosers... don't know about the other guys...

I can understand why you like Terry Watkinson but my interest was always the primary writer - I have pretty much everything Kim Mitchell has (legitimately) recorded, no having most of it on CD (including one exceptionally scarce CD on a label that went bust)

If you want to check out his solo stuff, start with Rockland...

Most people will go Max who...? The likliehood of ever seeing him on stage in the UK again...? Bob Hope and no hope (and one of those is dead...)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 06:23:10 AM »

I have his first three albums and I like the first one (which is an EP actually) best. A bit too slick and AOR for me, lacks the zany edge that Max had.

You saw them in 1980? Was it after the "Universal Juvelines" and if yes, did they still have Terry on keys? There's some clips on youtube from 1980 that has Dave Stone (ex-Symphonic Slam, ex- Rainbow) on keys.

You don't happen to own any unofficial live recordings?

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 12:13:55 PM »
"The Cat's In The Bag..."

Definitely Terry on keys and I can be certain of the dates as it was June 4th, 5th and 9th (just checked ticket stubs - 9th was my 21st and that was the Marquee) and the rush tour was for Permanant Waves...

I have never got hold of any boots though there are a lot of dedicated Cannucks that I have yet to try and contact...

I may still have a spare copy of the promo leaflet from the tour (with a flexi disc?) for A Million Vacations if you want one - pm if interested and I'll go look for one... I helped myself to a heap of them on the way out...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 07:12:09 AM »
Great fan of A Million Vacations etc. Nerdy prog hard rock was never any better. Kim's solo stuff sounds a little dumbed down to me, but he probably has a family to take care of.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 03:37:41 PM »
... and a regular slot on local radio...

mc2NY

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 07:36:57 PM »
I saw them a few times back in their prime, since I lived/played on the same club circuit.

Billy Sheehan actually did a stint IN Max Webster in the late '70s between Talas incarnations but I've never seen him mention it, so I'm guessing that maybe it didn't go well.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 03:13:35 PM by mc2NY »

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 11:54:59 PM »
This is probably their best of the prog songs, or the "Moon" songs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eEnqCXNs84

Dave Stone on keys. The studio version has a great synth bassline but Dave Myles doesn't do badly here with his Precision.:) Gotta love those Taurus pedals at the end too.

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 10:41:32 PM »
Hooray!
http://www.rockcandyrecords.co.uk/catalogue/686
http://www.rockcandyrecords.co.uk/catalogue/687
http://www.rockcandyrecords.co.uk/catalogue/688

No bonus tracks but the booklets got me drooling already. Hope the rest will follow, especially if we could get an expanded "Live Magnetic Air".

luve2fli

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2012, 01:32:33 PM »
I'm a big fan from way back. Saw them open for Rush back in the day ...... many brain-cells ago so I don't remember exactly what tour ..... must have been around '79. I became a true believer and followed Kim Mitchell's career religiously (as did many Canadians of my generation) and saw him with his own band at least 5 times over the years. He does a radio show in Toronto on Q107 and has a huge following but he still goes out on tour every summer doing small festivals and soft-seaters, mostly in Canada I believe.

Disagree. While it's arguably his finest hour both in terms of songwriting and production, Akimbo Alogo has a real live, raw feel to it (as does Shakin' like a Human Being) and was the culmination of all of his songwriting (angst) leading up to a major release post Max. Plus, the rhythm section of Robert Sinclair Wilson on bass and Paul DeLong on drums was the bomb! I think Peter Fredette switched over to bass from rhythm guitar for the Rockland album.
"I think it's only proper that I play until the last note of a set, then fall over and die. The band won't have to play an encore and they'll still get paid for the gig" (Dr. John)

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2012, 03:13:17 PM »
The Rush tour of the UK in '80 was Permanent waves and Max were promoting Vacations at that time... simply stunning... Oh War really stood out for me...

Akimbo is a superb recording, agreed, but it's the ten men with ten lists syndrome...  ;D
Rockland - Fredette is credited only with bgv's and bass is credited to Matthew Gerrard, who is googleable in his own right...

Definitely envy your side of the pond, musically, L2F... and the ability to still see the guy play... 8)

I'm still trying to source the Xmas song...

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2012, 06:21:11 PM »
I saw M.W. open for Rush too. I think it was the Moving Pictures tour. Whenever it was, Geddy had done some guest vocals on a song and all my friends were hoping Geddy would come out to sing with Webster. Didn't happen, of course. M.W. put on an enjoyable show and the bass player was amazing!!
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2012, 07:05:45 PM »

Plus, the rhythm section of Robert Sinclair Wilson on bass and Paul DeLong on drums was the bomb!

Indeed! Especially on the EP which still has some Max Websterisms left.

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2012, 07:22:58 PM »
I saw M.W. open for Rush too. I think it was the Moving Pictures tour. Whenever it was, Geddy had done some guest vocals on a song and all my friends were hoping Geddy would come out to sing with Webster. Didn't happen, of course. M.W. put on an enjoyable show and the bass player was amazing!!

The song was "Battlescar" that featured not only Geddy on vocals and second bass but also Neil and Alex.

Was the bassist playing an Alembic bass? If yes, then it was Mike Gingrich who replaced Dave Myles during that last tour. Do you recall if they had two guitarists? Steve McMurray was added to the line-up for those last days.

Dave Myles:

Battlescar:
http://youtu.be/PMM6Bhwpy0M

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2012, 09:19:45 PM »
I don't remember the bass but his name was something like Pie Du Bouis, which someone on another forum said was a stage name. That was the first time I had ever witnessed a bass solo in concert and was pretty impressed. I have some pictures packed away somewhere, but God only knows where. I remember Kim wearing pink & black striped pants and a pink jacket. Truth be told, I think they put on a better show than Rush did that night.
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT