Author Topic: SIT strings  (Read 1333 times)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
SIT strings
« on: April 03, 2008, 08:55:57 AM »
My favorite strings are TI jazz flats and rounds.  I sue both extensively on my basses.  When ordering some rounds recently I decided to try some SIT Silencers, light set, based on some things someone told me and after reading their web site. 

At less than half the price of the TIs, I have to say I am impressed.  They are inverse wound (however they manage that!) and look like rounds but feel really close to flats.  They have that round wound ring to them, but they are a little subdued compared to a traditionally wound round string.  They are nice on the fingers and I like their level of brightness a lot, especially as one who generally prefers flats anyway!  I like 'em.  They're getting a test run on my two NRs, the original 60's rebuild and the Epi.

I'd recommend them if you're looking for smooth feeling rounds that have some life in their output but don't bark like a piano wire!   
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: SIT strings
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 10:11:44 AM »
I haven't used them lately but they worked out real well on a couple of Ricks I've since sold. I liked their tone better than the GHS Pressurewounds, which are probably the better known compressed rounds.

Piano wire can bark?  ??? ;)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Re: SIT strings
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 12:13:35 PM »
I haven't used them lately but they worked out real well on a couple of Ricks I've since sold. I liked their tone better than the GHS Pressurewounds, which are probably the better known compressed rounds.

Piano wire can bark?  ??? ;)

Traditional round wounds sound like I'm plucking good ole piano wire when they have that sharp, brassy tone, even on the E and A-strings.  Just my crude interpretation!

I really am impressed with the SITs.  Not too much tension either.  Not as bendable as TIs, but comfortable none the less.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!