Author Topic: moved the 200S info to here  (Read 862 times)

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
moved the 200S info to here
« on: June 28, 2010, 06:33:55 PM »
Been talking with Dan Torres about a Baxandall preamp and a 2 tube KT88 amp. It turns out he has been working on a design that uses a Baxandall preamp in a two tube KT88 amp that closely follows the Dynaco Mark3 amp design that Dynaco lic'd to Sunn to make the 200S.

On futher (no "R" Texas talk courtesy of my g/f) investigation it turns out the Hammond 1650R output tranny is rated at 100 watts RMS and Hammond 260M power tranny is almost an exact duplicate of the PA060 power tranny but the PA060 is shielded on both sides and is highly underrated, can be had off the Bay at a reasonable price vs the Hammond.

Turns out I bought a AB165 parts amp from Patrick Selfridge who works at Mercury Magnetics. He informed me Mercury can test and label the leads of just about any transformer if the owner pays freight both ways. Rebuilding the trannies costs quite a bit more but the service is available if needed and they will recommend needed repairs when they test the trannies but they will not do any repairs without contacting the owner first. My tranny needs new wires resoldered on it. My AB165 chassis is not restorable (with a hole drilled through the serial number), is missing the trannies, the tubes and a few knobs so I don't mind modding it. Also thinking about leaving the "Bassman" front plate on it with a few holes empty and letting the band members think it is a delapidated 50 watt "Bassman".

Measuring my AB165 chassis and cab, the PA060 PT and the 1650 OPT will fit onto the chassis with a few mods and with the turret board of Dan's it will make the build a lot easier. It would be possible to get a 200S 100 watter stuffed into a 50 watt Fender head cab and chassis with a two tube 6CG7/12AT7 cathode differential driver (replacing the 6AN8 driver) and a Baxandall preamp feeding two KT88's instead of two 6L6gc's.

Back to Dan. He is in the hosp right now and hopes to be out soon. He did not sell Torres Engineering and is still very active with the business. Anyway, his preamp is also workable with a bigger power amp of say 200 watts or so. He sells the plans so I cannot copy them here but it is very close to a big Sunn and if anyone is interested in schemo's, it could bare looking at. I'mma thinking the download costs are reasonable if one is interested and thats the reason I am writing this to let my fellow bassists know there are 200S replacement parts available and maybe some parts interchangability out there if needed along with a schematic that is oh so close to a big Sunn 200 watt.

UPDATE: Dan is out and in good health.

Sorry I put this in the wrong spot earlier.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 09:09:15 PM by sniper dog »
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW