Author Topic: Danelectro Longhorn  (Read 14273 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Danelectro Longhorn
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2008, 06:35:03 PM »
I had never heard about the rods being unequal, but I have the same impression about the instruments. Everything was carefully considered, including the body shapes that were designed around the wood frames.

Blazer

« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2008, 08:21:41 PM »

Rinus gerritsen from The Golden Earring.

And he also has a custom double neck which marries the short scale Dano neck and lipstick pickups with a Longscale Fender and humbucker pickups from a Gibson T-bird.

The short scale dano neck also has a Kahler vibrato

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2008, 04:44:00 AM »
I'm still trying to get in toiuch with Rinus for a Gibsonbass.com interview....

Also search for 'Frank Kraaijeveld'. He's from a 44 year (!) old Dutch band called The Bintangs. He always plays two Dano's through some big Laney tube amps wit three 15" speakers. He has weared holes in his lipsticks because of using it as a finger rest!

JimmyBond8

• "You're so cute when you're stupid"
    • View Profile
    • The Afterwhiles - My Band
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2008, 12:57:33 PM »
A Danelectro Longhorn 90's reissue was my first Electric Bass, though not my first bass. I've always loved the unique way that the lipsticks sound. Couple that with the short scale and you can really move around on the neck easily. And one of my favorite things about it is the fact that it weighs so little, and doesn't take up much space (which makes it very good for a 'backup gig' bass). The only downside I ever had with the bass was the tuners, especially the E string, refused to keep tune very long. So I was constantly retuning whenever I wasn't playing in any part of a song. And being a short-scale made out of ridiculously cheap 'woods' it doesn't have much sustain.
I have heard good things out of the Jerry Jones copies and also out of some of the new reissues. I've thought for a while about taking it out of service and perhaps trying to get some new tuners and perhaps a different bridge for it, but haven't actually started any work on it yet. And as someone mentioned before, I'm not sure that taking the rosewood saddled bridge away would be a good idea.