Author Topic: 1967 EBO Conversion  (Read 4931 times)

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
1967 EBO Conversion
« on: June 24, 2010, 12:59:05 PM »
Had this a few years, I call it "Lucky".  Trussrod repair, some odd holes, been attacked by 80 grit and looks like somebody gave up trying to remove the neck with a blunt instrument.  Plus a strange refin attempt.  But it's all there, no cracks, original except for pg.  Trussrod functions and neck is straight.  Could use a fret job.  The color looks more walnut than cherry

Recently I got a '67 bridge pup and decided to turn it into an EB-3.  Depending how the woodwork turns out I'll do it cherry or white.  Here are some pics that tell a story but I don't know exactly what it is.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: 1967 EBO Conversion
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 01:19:15 PM »
I wonder what happened at the 15th...?

:popcorn:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 01:37:58 PM »
I wonder what happened at the 15th...?

:popcorn:

My guess: That's where the anchor is for the trussrod.  I think 2 frets were pulled , hole routed to get to the anchor, broken rod removed thru the headstock.  A new rod must have been threaded into the anchor, that's why there's a slot sawn into the replacement rod (I'll grind it off with a dremel).  Then a new piece of rosewood w/dot was inlaid in board and frets replaced.  I'll try to clean up the inlay work with sawdust from a board leveling.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 01:56:19 PM »
The bass is kinda cool as is but it sure will make a great EB3 ! White ala Jimmy Lea gets my vote.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 02:33:43 PM »
The bass is kinda cool as is but it sure will make a great EB3 ! White ala Jimmy Lea gets my vote.

If it was natural wear I'd just leave it, just do the pup rout, pots and vari.  It really looks worse than the pictures, probably Minwax Polyshades combination stain and finish.  If it was in worse shape the finish decision would be easier.  Fairly sure I gotta go for cherry ala a refinned EB with darkstars I've seen posted somewhere.  If I did it white I'd be more tempted to sell it.  Too many people paying too much money for white refins.  I would love an original white one though.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010, 03:16:15 PM »
Yeah, that fret board work look like a truss rod repaier.  Your supposed to take out a hunk of rosewood between the frets!  Much easier to hide later on.

Keep it coming, it has potential!  I'll share my EB-3L when I start it later in the year.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2010, 04:20:14 PM »
Yeah, that fret board work look like a truss rod repaier.  Your supposed to take out a hunk of rosewood between the frets!  Much easier to hide later on.

Yeah, you have to remove two more frets that way but definitely worth it.  I may redo it if I can find a matching piece of rosewood.

This was the Ebay auction picture.  The repair wasn't mentioned.  Buyer beware.

I'm looking forward to your EB-3L build.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2010, 04:29:12 AM »
Yeah, you have to remove two more frets that way but definitely worth it.  I may redo it if I can find a matching piece of rosewood.

This was the Ebay auction picture.  The repair wasn't mentioned.  Buyer beware.

I'm looking forward to your EB-3L build.
If that repair wasn't mentioned in the auction I hope you took the seller to task and got a partial refund.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2010, 05:28:01 AM »
I think it's perfect, (if it plays well)...very cool...

Dr. Aquafresh

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2010, 05:32:14 AM »
I'll bet you could get a piece of rosewood that would match pretty well, or you could artificially match it even. It might be fun to do just for the sake of doing it.

My mind goes to something dorky like buy a pre-cut board and take a hunk out of it. Maybe even do more than three frets worth. I suppose at that point you could just pull the whole board, if you did that then you could make sure the rod is in good shape. Oh! you could make it a fretless with an all new fret board, I don't know if you would want that though.

Of course, it may be just as good to simply pull that one section and replace.

Sorry, I kind of got carried away there  ;D

Looking forward to what you come up with.
Bring on the Nubiles

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2010, 06:43:12 AM »
Dr. Aquafresh, you've given me a lot to think about.  Thanks, I have no idea how I'll proceed now.  But an entire board replacement does sorta make sense.  I hadn't thought of that at all.

Patman, it plays fine but the frets wouldn't take another dressing.  I feel this particular bass deserves to be made whole.  It's taken a lot of hits but is still close to how it came out of the factory.

God of Thunder, I didn't try to renegotiate the price,  it just made an auction that looked like a great deal into one that was just OK.  If the rod didn't work I would have definitely done something about it.  But it did teach me a lesson.  Really look at pix and ask every question you can think of. If not answered, walk.  I missed seeing what was visible and I didn't ask any questions.  That WAS a lot smaller pic in the auction though.

nofi

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2010, 07:00:58 AM »
it has it's own particular charm. i love basses like this. refet it and go.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2010, 07:26:38 AM »
it has it's own particular charm. i love basses like this. refet it and go.

Nofi, I live in a trailer, I can see the ground through my kitchen floor, the plumbing barely functions.  I gotta keep up appearances somehow.  You can't expect me to be seen with a beat up bass.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2010, 12:31:17 PM »
Nofi, I live in a trailer, I can see the ground through my kitchen floor, the plumbing barely functions.  I gotta keep up appearances somehow.  You can't expect me to be seen with a beat up bass.

:mrgreen:

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2010, 01:38:54 PM »
Never stopped me... ;D
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...