Author Topic: 4001 pickup question  (Read 2321 times)

newplasticmachine

• View Profile
4001 pickup question
« on: June 05, 2010, 10:37:29 PM »
After playing bass since 1979, I just bought my first Rickenbacker, a 1979 4001 Fireglo. Christ why did I wait so long???

There is a huge volume difference between the 2 pickups. The bridge pickup is big and robust while the bridge pickup (the one under the massive chrome cover) is hollower sounding, what I was expecting, but the output is about 1/2 the volume.

Is this normal or do I need some rewiring work?

ALso, is there a resource for vintage parts? The one I bough came without the massive chrome pickup cover.

ilan

• View Profile
Re: 4001 pickup question
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 11:11:38 PM »
Up until 1985, all 4001/4003's came with a bass-cut capacitor on the bridge pickup. Yes, bass-cut. Solo'ed, the bridge pickup sounded very thin and weak.

Many frustrated Ric bass owners have replaced the pickups without knowing that the problem wasn't there. By 1985 the cap was gone.

All you have to do - and this is a mod that every vintage Ric owner should know - is to bypass that capacitor.

You don't even have to disconnect or remove it. Just use a short piece of insulated wire to shunt it.

There are 3 caps in the 4001 harness. Two are for the tone controls, and the third one, usually smaller in size, is the evil .0047uf cap.

Bypass it and your problem is solved.

Congrats on the new bass and welcome to the Ric club!

For more details and pics on the cap removal mod, you might want to visit Joey's Bass Notes.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 11:24:21 PM »
is there a resource for vintage parts? The one I bough came without the massive chrome pickup cover.

It's really chrome-plated plastic and it's way less massive than Fender or Gibson pickup covers.

I'd search eBay, or you can buy directly from RIC.

The new ones are a bit thicker profile than old ones but should fit anyway.

Make sure you install it correctly - it goes under the surround - see this diagram from the RIC website:

http://www.rickenbacker.com/pdfs/bpickups.pdf

newplasticmachine

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 11:05:39 AM »
Thanks for the replies. Definitely going to check out that mod. I imagine the way it was originally designed, putting the treble pickup through a stack of Marshalls, the rolloff might be incredible... but a stack of Marshalls in our living room isn't really in my fiancees interior design plans!

The neck is unlike anything I've played before, it is pretty incredible. I remember the first time I played through an SVT, completely changed the way I played, this neck is having a similar effect.

Currently I have some nylon wound Rotosound strings on it just until the music store opens on Monday. The 115 E string is a little big, but it sounds kind of cool in a wonky retro way.

The bass itself is in showroom condition, I can't believe how well it's been taken care of, not one mark on it anywhere. This is going to be great!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 12:32:53 PM »
Congratulations, sounds like you have a good one and got a good deal.

Most people don't keep the bridge cover on because it gets in their way. Depends on your style of of playing. If you don't like the big opening around it, there are a couple of alternatives, see this thread: http://bassoutpost.com/index.php?topic=3441.0

Underneath that .115 Roto tapewound E is about an .095 steel round. It's not very flexible but it's not hard on the neck either. I would stick with lighter gauge strings.

Before doing any truss rod adjustments, be aware that there's a specific way to do the older Ricks. Joey's Bass Notes discusses this.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 12:55:58 PM »
A 1979 4001's neck was designed for light-gauge strings, .040-.100 set. Some 4001's can handle slightly heavier gauges, but others will suffer neck damage, warp etc.

Also, it's important to understand the truss rods. Pre-85 Rics have folded expansion rods, which operate differently from compression rods in post-85 Rics or any Fender, Gibson etc. Set-up is different, and many luthiers don't know how to properly adjust those necks. Attempts to adjust the rods like you would in a Fender, for example, can result in popping the fretboard or cracking the neck.

In short, to adjust the "old style" rods, keep string tension (bass tuned to pitch - don't detune you bass even for long storage), then loosen the nuts a bit, pull the neck backwards manually to where you want it to be, and then "lock" it into place with the rods.

In other words, with a "standard" (Fender style, actually any make other than Ric) truss rod you turn the nut to move the neck, and with the folded type expansion rods you move the neck manually and use the rods to "freeze" it in that position.

Once you understand the expansion rods and how to adjust them, you'll be able to do your own setups.

Like Dave wrote, Joey's website is excellent read.

Also, this guide written by Ted Staberow and posted to the RRF is a must-read IMHO for any pre-'85 Ric owner.

Now let's see some pics! :thumbsup: