Author Topic: How do I record my NR?  (Read 3594 times)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
How do I record my NR?
« on: January 15, 2008, 08:29:21 AM »
Several folks have asked for a clip of my NR rehab bass.  I've never tried, so can somone tell m ehow I record my bass via computer and put it into a clip other folks can listen to?  Thanks!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

doombass

• View Profile
Re: How do I record my NR?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 09:15:58 AM »
I've wondered also. I have never recorded straight into my computer. I suppose you can use the recording input of the sound card but my guess is you will need something like a DI Box or mixer between the bass and input since it is probably made for low level signals. The bass straight in will probably distort badly.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 09:39:39 AM »
I always use my mini-disk multitrack desk as an interface.

On my iMac I use Garageband to record it with.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 09:49:35 AM »
You need a recording program like Apple Garage band, Pro Tools or Cube base. Then you need a USB interface with 1/4 jacks etc.

Like this or something similar. I record direct.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/FastTrackUSB/

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 10:04:18 AM »
Several folks have asked for a clip of my NR rehab bass.  I've never tried, so can somone tell m ehow I record my bass via computer and put it into a clip other folks can listen to?  Thanks!

I'm guessing you may not want to spend money on this, at least at first. In which case you just need some sort of amplifier. If you practice using headphones, whatever you would plug the headphones into, take that output to the line-in/mic input on the computer. Then you need recording software, such as Audacity (which is free). Save the track as an mp3. Assuming it's a PC, you may have to set the recording levels using the Windows mixer, or it may just work. Also, set the amplifier volume high enough to give a strong sound, but not so high that it distorts.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/

Of course, if you get serious then the Fast Track box is a neat solution.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 10:10:38 AM by PhilT »

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 03:45:45 PM »
Right on Phil, I don't have money to spend on recroding equipment right now.  Too many projects eating up my reserves!

Thanks for the tips, I'll give it a try.  First time for everything!!!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 05:05:10 PM »
I'm planning on (finally) buying some minimal recording gear this year, a USB interface and mic. The big online retailers will offer packages with an interface and a mic or two, like this one from Music123 (now a sister company to MF). The interfaces usually come with recording software.

I know it's a long way from a pro studio setup but something like this should serve my needs.

EvilLordJuju

• Mud is its own reward
    • View Profile
    • Fly Guitars
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 09:07:19 PM »
I use a mobile-pre USB interface. It is not pro standard, but after you've compressed it for online use, I don't suppose that really matters. I've been very happy with mine.

In fact most of my playing occurs when my children are asleep, so I use this with headphones when working out basslines for a band, or just noodling.....

Not overly expensive http://search.ebay.com/mobile-pre-usb_W0QQcatrefZC6QQfclZ3QQfnuZ1QQfromZR8QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQsacatZQ2d1QQsaprcloZn

I am about to try plugging in a microphone and putting it in front of my amp to see how that sounds - hopefully pretty great

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2008, 05:39:00 AM »
So what's the difference between the Mobile Pre and the Fast Track Pro? Seems to be more knobs and lights on the Fast Track, which may or may not be a good thing.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2008, 05:50:14 AM »
It all works, it's just the features and be sure it's driver is compatable with your operating system.

I bet one of the sites has reviews

I bought mine for $69

I would now like to up grade to one that has a midi & microphone input