Author Topic: Squier Vintage Modified Precision Bass  (Read 1803 times)

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
Squier Vintage Modified Precision Bass
« on: March 29, 2008, 01:32:16 AM »
Has anybody tried one of those? How is the neck? Does it sound mudbuckerish?
It's one of the few fenderoids I like, and if it has the "right" (=mud) sound, maybe I'll start saving,,,
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
Re: Squier Vintage Modified Precision Bass
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 02:20:29 AM »
I have one. there where some topics about them at the Pit some months ago.

It's just great. First there are the bad things. It's a Squier, so basswood with veneer on front of back, control knobs with a plastic inside and no adjustment screws, bad pots (on/off instead of lineair), flimsy tuners, almost no finish on the neck (which I quite like) and pickguard which is a bit to thin. New Squiers and new fenders both look good if they're new. But after two years of playing you see the differences.

But it sounds great! A year ago we had a mini-Dudefest with Bart! and Basvarken. Two Thunderbirds, two Hobbits, two JCS's and an LP Sig, an EB3, some Fenders, A Burns, BaCh, a Darkstarred P, and more...  So lots and lots of vintage and new basses! (And an Ampeg head plus an Orange head). The two positive surprises were the Burns Vista Sonic (for its special sound) and the Tele Bass (for it's great sound). Warm, fat, not to muddy, really Fender-ish, but much fatter and warmer. Great bass if you're looking for a fat sixties tone with still lots of definition. Bart! used to have a real Tele Bass and he thought the Squier's more usable. Better.
At this moment a semi-pro Dutch band is using mine on the road. They don't have a bass player, but the guitarist uses it for one song and he loves it. Normally they have only fat synth basses and this one's good enough for them! 

The only drawback is the Squier quality of some parts, like knobs and pots. But I hardly use volume and tone. Excahneg some parts and its great. Especially for that low price.

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 04:19:33 AM »
Thanks Chris, seems like I'd like it alot then! Gotta find one to try first thru.
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 10:00:25 AM »
In Holland you see them quite often in shops. The other Dutch guitar magazine (I don't write for them) tested it last month and they liked it too.