Author Topic: Do Lindy Fralin Thunderbird Pickups Exist?  (Read 2679 times)

Johnbob

• View Profile
Do Lindy Fralin Thunderbird Pickups Exist?
« on: April 11, 2010, 11:10:07 AM »
Does Lindy Fralin make some Thunderbird pickups? I could have sworn that I had seen them before somewhere on the net but now I can't seem to find any info about them anywhere. Am I just imagining this or did they make them at some time because they don't have anything on their site about them now? If they do or did make them in the past, does anyone here have them and what are your thoughts about them? Are they replacements for vintage Thunderbirds or are they the size of the newer Thunderbirds?

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Do Lindy Fralin Thunderbird Pickups Exist?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 12:01:48 PM »
There are Fralin Bassbuckers sold exclusively by RS Guitarworks that are made to sound like 60s Thunderbird pickups but they are guitar humbucker size. AFAIK Fralin doesn't make one for Thunderbird size routs.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 01:05:07 PM »
 Since Scott's Expibird calls my house home now........
I can't speak as to their availabilty but an email would likely take care of that pretty quick.
I can offer some comparisons tho:
First, in size they are a bit smaller than any Gibson, Orville, Greco or Lull.
Second as to tone, they're nice enough sounding, pretty well mannered, with no real "dirt" and lower volume output than similar other pickups........
Third is of course subjective on my part, but while these don't sound bad in any way, they don't cop the tone of any T Bird pup that I use.........various vintages of Gibson, Orville, Greco, Lull.

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

rockinrayduke

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 07:32:17 PM »
I have a pair that I think I'll probably sell. They're close but not quite.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 11:20:04 AM »
I just put a pair in my Epi Les Paul standard. They're perfect for it, but don't have the midrange snarl you'd expect out from a T-Bird pickup. They work perfectly for me as I have an insanely heavy plucking hand and like their more mellow sound. I get all the snarl I need from my playing.   As everyone else has said, compared to the Epi p/u's I removed, they're much lower in output even though they measure just a little less with DC resistance, but the significantly lower output was exactly what I was hoping for. I was more than a little puzzled with the high output of the Epi's, which were 8.9 and 9.1k. IIRC, my Fralins are 7.5 and 8.1k.

Ray, what do you think you'll want for yours?

Here's the review I posted on RS's website:

I purchased these as an upgrade for my Epiphone Les Paul Standard, which uses the same guitar-sized ring-mount pickups. Its stock pickups were much too hot and very nasal, with limited low end and very clanky highs; the overall tone was very brassy. Strung with Ernie Balll light gauge flatwounds through a vintage Ampeg SVT rig, the Fralins improved the tone drastically, but they didn't really impart much vintage 'Thunderbird' to it.

The pickups are very reasonable in output, comparable to most Fender pickups and much more "mellow" in sound without being overly muffled. However, they really could be even more mellow without sacrificing tone. Even using the vintage cap kit from RS, I find myself keeping the tone knobs mostly turned nearly all the way down and my strings are not particularly bright.

These are supposed to be modelled after vintage Gibson Thunderbird pickups, and they do not capture that particular sound. Perhaps the mixture of neck-through construction and mahogany completes that tonal mix, but I have found vintage T-Birds to be much more aggressive sounding with a less polite bottom. The sound these pickups is  rticulate and smooth but not biting or big-bottomed. To my ears, they sound most similar to modern Fender Precision bass humbuckers with a slightly higher midrange resonance.

If I could make any suggestions, it would be to make the pickups more raw sounding with a bigger bottom, but not necessarily more output; I feel that is the one aspect that is completely appropriate, any hotter and they would be useless for non-master volume rigs. The negative aspects are that the height adjustment screws are too short; it is impossible to lower the pickups significantly without them coming unthreaded from the mounts and the flat-mount nickel finshed rings supplied with the pickups do not fit flush on carved-top instruments. I realize that this is not an issue for most of the basses these will be installed in, but it is something to be considered.

Overall, I am happy with them, but I feel they could be improved.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 12:51:06 AM by Psycho Bass Guy »