Author Topic: '81 Greco TB II  (Read 7805 times)

saltymonkey

• View Profile
Re: '81 Greco TB II
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2010, 08:56:17 PM »
I was wondering when someone was going to mention the cemetery. I'm surprised it took so long. My property borders a really old cemetery. Mostly 1800's a few 1700's too. The house I live in belonged to my great grandparents. When I was a kid there were no houses  behind ours just woods and the cemetery. And the cemetery wasn't kept up. The grass was always 3 feet high. We used to play back there. Now I'm really glad it's there. It keeps the property really private. If not for the cemetery there would be two or three houses right on top of my backyard all the surrounding area has been built on. I shot the bass there because the light was good and there was some shade to put the bass in.

saltymonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2010, 09:00:13 PM »
That's why it looks so happy...............Those are dead P basses it's fed upon!

That's funny Mark. Probably a few thin sounding Jazzes in there too. On a side note I put the flats that came on the Greco on the Bruce Johnson. It sounds so freakin' good. The best flats tone from any bass I have ever played. Win win.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2010, 08:51:05 AM »
How cool is that? The cemetery and the fact that your house has so much history for your family. Very cool...

Mark, did your II come with a case? I don't think I've ever seen one for sale that didn't. I love the orange interior and like that it's fitted so well. No flopping around in that case! 

saltymonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2010, 09:20:22 AM »
It's pretty great. All my best childhood memories are in this place. As soon as school ended in PA we were packed up within a day and here for the summer with my grandmother. Long days at the beach, a regular Hallmark existence. I used to dread leaving. I finally moved here six years ago to take care of the old place after living in cities (Philly & NYC) forever. I still have to travel a bunch for work but this will always be home.

The fitted case is fantastic and light as far as cases go too. Mine has a lovely shocking pink fur on the inside.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2010, 09:34:58 AM »
How cool is that? The cemetery and the fact that your house has so much history for your family. Very cool...

Mark, did your II come with a case? I don't think I've ever seen one for sale that didn't. I love the orange interior and like that it's fitted so well. No flopping around in that case! 

Yup! Love that orange liner! the contrast when I put my Purple '76 in that case is almost blinding  ;D
Here's it's original ebay shot, IIRC mine was $650.00 plus shipping from Japan.

I've long thought to refin this bass.....Inverness Green or Pelham Blue like Joe's beautiful BaCH.

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

saltymonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2010, 09:44:34 AM »
When I first saw the pictures of mine and the chips and edge wear I thought refin. But after getting it, the wear is much more minimal that it looked in the seller's pics and the grain is so nice and uniformly straight that it'll stay original. But I may eventually refin my Bach after seeing Joe's amazing results.

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2010, 11:02:16 AM »
It's pretty great. All my best childhood memories are in this place. As soon as school ended in PA we were packed up within a day and here for the summer with my grandmother. Long days at the beach, a regular Hallmark existence. I used to dread leaving. I finally moved here six years ago to take care of the old place after living in cities (Philly & NYC) forever. I still have to travel a bunch for work but this will always be home.

The fitted case is fantastic and light as far as cases go too. Mine has a lovely shocking pink fur on the inside.

That is just too cool!  I'm big on history and have nothing concrete from grandparents except for a rocking chair - which I almost fought to the death with my cousins to get.  Like George says the family connection and your childhood memories are priceless.  The cemetary is cool as well - keeps a McMansion from being built on top of you and it's history as well.  Growing up in cookie cutter suburb and living in a new cookie cutter suburb I'm beyond jealous :sad:

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2010, 11:55:31 AM »

If that seller was the guy that always had pictures of his basses on that wood floor it's a guy I went to high school with. He's half Japanese and lived over there for years buying and selling. He's a bass player as well.

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2010, 05:06:12 AM »
Hahaha, recognizing wood grain in a floor while looking for basses is a sign of major nerddom!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2010, 10:42:53 AM »
Beautiful Grecos!  Do the necks on those feel anything like the bolt-neck Epi Thunderbirds in terms of profile?  I remember out of all those Thunderbird comparison sound clips at the old place, the Greco was one of my favs.

Hahaha, recognizing wood grain in a floor while looking for basses is a sign of major nerddom!

;D  Hey now that was a very attractive floor...  :P

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2010, 11:26:24 AM »
Beautiful Grecos!  Do the necks on those feel anything like the bolt-neck Epi Thunderbirds in terms of profile?  I remember out of all those Thunderbird comparison sound clips at the old place, the Greco was one of my favs.

;D  Hey now that was a very attractive floor...  :P

That headstock looks mighty familiar...    8)
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2010, 11:38:58 AM »
If that seller was the guy that always had pictures of his basses on that wood floor it's a guy I went to high school with. He's half Japanese and lived over there for years buying and selling. He's a bass player as well.

Yes you're right George it was purchased from your friend, he's a great seller - From Tokoyo to seattle in 3 days, no duty! Awesome. 
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2010, 01:53:05 PM »
I was wondering when someone was going to mention the cemetery. I'm surprised it took so long. My property borders a really old cemetery. Mostly 1800's a few 1700's too. The house I live in belonged to my great grandparents. When I was a kid there were no houses  behind ours just woods and the cemetery. And the cemetery wasn't kept up. The grass was always 3 feet high. We used to play back there. Now I'm really glad it's there. It keeps the property really private. If not for the cemetery there would be two or three houses right on top of my backyard all the surrounding area has been built on. I shot the bass there because the light was good and there was some shade to put the bass in.
That is so cool ! I'm a old house junkie how about a pic of the homestead ?
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

saltymonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2010, 03:16:31 PM »
The Homestead. Built in the 1890's. The flat roof section was added on in 1964. I built the deck about ten years ago. That maple tree grows through the deck. We framed around it. Only had to widen the hole once so far. When I was a tyke my granddad used to drink too much and pass out against a pile of rocks at the bass of that tree. The cemetery is just to the right out of frame. You can see a tombstone in the distance between the two trees in the right of the photo. Wish I had a nice warm weather sunny shot. This one is making me relive this winter which sucked hard.  :mrgreen:

« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 03:21:54 PM by saltymonkey »

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2010, 08:27:35 PM »
I am so beyond envious!  To be able to live in house your great grandparents built - to live your life in the home of your ancestors is just awesome.