Author Topic: '81 Greco TB II  (Read 7813 times)

saltymonkey

• View Profile
'81 Greco TB II
« on: April 03, 2010, 11:31:00 AM »
Fedex just left this with me and I'm more than a little happy. The Easter Bunny's going to have to go really big to compare with this. Came wearing flats and it sounds huge. Snapped some quick pics to share with you guys and then I'm going to be busy for a while. Mark, you were right I love it.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: '81 Greco TB II
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 11:44:40 AM »
Beautiful !
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 12:06:26 PM »
Looks pretty much perfect...  8)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 12:14:31 PM »

That's sure nice Bill!

The Nickel on yours has a bit more shine than mine does too. These basses are very underrated, mostly due to their rarity, for the $$$ simply the best 'Bird out there IMO.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 12:22:21 PM »
You're putting together a flockin' family, aren't ya? Congrats! Grecos ROCK!

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 12:32:08 PM »

With a set rounds on it..........That bass will eat every P bass ever made  ;D
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 12:37:25 PM »
Wow! That is a great score.
Congrats.

I got to agree with Mark about the roundwounds

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 12:53:34 PM »
I play my Greco II more than any other bass I own. That sound is the one I've heard in my head every time I've ever picked up a Thunderbird.

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2010, 01:45:45 PM »
I'd love to get one of these someday. I've never even played one, but the way you guys describe them.... 8)
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2010, 01:52:20 PM »

The II's are a pretty straightforward bass, single very loud.....almost raucous pup, (dime the volume, work the tone alittle) set neck. I played mine at rehearsal last night with the Traynor..........  :o  Sproing!

saltymonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2010, 05:44:00 PM »
I'll second that sproing!!! I took the flats off the Greco and swapped them for the steels that were on the Bruce Johnson. Wow, it's so good. Raucous is a good way to describe it when you dig in. It's huge, full and biting. That very well may be the best $650 I've ever spent on a bass. I have to stop to eat now. My stomach is trying to consume itself. What a great bass. I feel lucky.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2010, 06:34:33 PM »
That very well may be the best $650 I've ever spent on a bass.

IMO, you stole that thing. With shipping I paid $100 more than that years ago and mine isn't in nearly as nice condition as yours. Great score!

For anyone seriously considering ever buying one, the two things to remember are; the nut is wider (1 3/4") and a Greco takes an even longer reach to first position due to the neck joining the body one fret later than the Gibson. Not a huge difference, but one that takes a little getting used to (especially if you're not 6' or more). That being said, I got used to it and LOVE that bass.

saltymonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2010, 07:21:50 PM »
It was $715 with shipping but it came with a case too. I thought it was a really great deal. I've been looking for a while too, translated Japanese auction sites, everywhere I could think to search. There's a IV for sale in Russia. It was in the TB classifieds. I saw it the morning after it was listed and PMed the seller immediately. I was waiting for a money order for the Jackson Tbird and the seller was kind of non committal on whether he was going to hold it for me untill it arrived. He did say he would call me if he got another offer but I had all my fingers and toes crossed for two days. I can't really afford it after buying a Bach and the Bruce Johnson SSB but there was no way I was going to not try and make it work. So I'm cash poor but bass rich. It certainly didn't take very long to know I did the right thing. I'm only 5'8" but the reach doesn't feel exceptionally long for me. Maybe because I've been playing the Bach for a month. It has an extra strap button at the neck heel and balances very nicely when using that one.

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2010, 08:05:11 PM »
What a great deal and the thing looks pristine!  ;D

But, uh, is just me or is that a cemetary you used as your backdrop?

I thouhgt George's black velvet backdrop shots where unbeatable but a cemetary very interesting as well. ;)

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2010, 08:55:33 PM »
What a great deal and the thing looks pristine!  ;D

But, uh, is just me or is that a cemetary you used as your backdrop?

That's why it looks so happy...............Those are dead P basses it's fed upon!