Author Topic: "Derek Smalls" on upright  (Read 1206 times)

ilan

• View Profile
"Derek Smalls" on upright
« on: March 19, 2010, 02:27:07 AM »
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

bassvirtuoso

• My God, it's full of chrome!
    • View Profile
Re: "Derek Smalls" on upright
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 09:34:30 AM »
He was recently on Howard Stern and mentioned he had been playing bass since high school and just recently picked up the upright for "A Mighty Wind". He said he's actually fallen in love with it now, so it's no surprise he sneaked it into Spinal Tap.
-Dave

German-American Chrome Fan Club Member #666

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 09:45:54 AM »
Interesting bass, too - not a standard upright but one of the smaller, slender and thinner versions.  Nice sound!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

JZumbro

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 02:39:25 PM »
He was recently on Howard Stern and mentioned he had been playing bass since high school and just recently picked up the upright for "A Mighty Wind". He said he's actually fallen in love with it now, so it's no surprise he sneaked it into Spinal Tap.

"The Mighty Wind" was in 2003, so it isn't that recent. It was kind of like Spinal Tap, but with a folk group - played by the same guys as Spinal Tap.

bassvirtuoso

• My God, it's full of chrome!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 12:21:46 AM »
"The Mighty Wind" was in 2003, so it isn't that recent.

I didn't mean it that way. Yes, I own all Christopher Guest films. I meant that he HAD recently picked up the upright before the filming of "A Mighty Wind". So I guess recent to the beginning of filming for the film.
-Dave

German-American Chrome Fan Club Member #666