Author Topic: Traynor YBA 200-2  (Read 29322 times)

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
Traynor YBA 200-2
« on: March 10, 2010, 04:55:00 PM »
Hey All,

So after about 25 years of using nothing but solid state GK amplification I recently decided I'd try an all tube head - for several reasons actually.
First, I wanted something different, plain and simple.
Second, I needed something of less wattage than my 750GK for some venues we play, smaller shows and places with dodgy electricity ( i.e. can't support a 20amp circuit)
Third, sometimes it's be nice to just simply plug the bass straight into the amp, and get good tone without pedals cluttering up the signal chain - a side benift would be that I could travel a bit lighter as well, sometimes just using a single cabinet.

As some of you know I did get to borrow a Hiwatt DR103 from Mike Lull for about a week, I really enjoyed it's warm tone and of course I loved it! The downside here was that finding one for sale and making it reliable would have been an expensive proposition. I seriously considered a Reeves 225 as option but at 2500.00 for a new one I just didn't think I could justify that either.
I guess I'm just not an Ampeg guy anymore, I had a V4 many years ago but again I don't think I'm really after a vintage amp..........My search lead me to check out Traynor as an all tube handwired Canadian made alternative. I looked at them first on the M.F. website which at least gives you some spec and user reviews and I felt pretty favorable at that point, their price was $969.00 plus $10 shipping and tax. I was pretty close to buying and just happened to be visiting a local mom and pop shop that I don't get to that often for some Ken Smith Roundwounds when lo and behold they have a new one they'd just put out on display. They didn't have a Thunderbird in the shop I ended up playing a Geddy Lee Jazz to try it out (Forgive me Father for I have sinned!)and was really impressed with its tone and decided to have a look at the price tag.......$879.00 that's it sold!
 At bedroom sound levels it's creamy warm and wonderful - very difficult to do with my GK. It's especially nice when playing fingerstyle, you get a nice solid upfront thump and some nice growl with the mids and treble bumped up.     
 I also had the chance to open it up a bit with the band at rehearsal on sunday night as well - We rehearse using I.E.M.'s for part of the overall sound my headphone mix includes vocals, keys and guitar (these instrument only go to the headphones we don't use a PA at rehearsal anymore.) Bass and drums don't go into the mix so I crank the amp up a bit so it sounds good at the sdame level as our drummer plays. Again the amp produces wonderful tone, and I found myself play a lot more fingerstyle than usual ( with some slightly sore fingertips too!) and really enjoying the solid thump and decay. With a pick I'm still getting that kinda angry, clankey piano tone that I like but with a bit more prescence.
I'm very favorably impressed so far, so much so that it'll likely go to our next show instead of the GK :)   

So, I'm told it's a good idea to carry spare tubes, anybody got some suggestions for which brand and place to purchase?

Here's a front panel shot

And it's lovely hindquarters

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
Re: Traynor YBA 200-2
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 05:05:32 PM »
So, I'm told it's a good idea to carry spare tubes, anybody got some suggestions for which brand and place to purchase?

The people who told you that are full of shit. If a tube fails, whether it be the fault of the tube or the amp, the damage will happen almost guarantees that you'll either just destroy your new tubes or damamge your  amp further. Fortunately, tubes and tube amps are far more robust than they are generally given credit for being.

BTW, congrats of the new amp!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 05:08:14 PM »
Welcome to the club...

I've never blown a valve, ever (touching wood - stop sniggering), but blown a few OP fuses... my DR103 has had the same valves I fitted in the late seventies (fell off the back of a Marshall - don't ask), used right through the eighties, got packed up in '88, warmed up a few times over the years, regular usage again last year, and still quite cosy...

PBG's probably one of the best to answer that, though Scott probably spoke with a voice with better experience than mine...

Careful transit, especially decent suspension whilst on the move, is probably the best advice I can offer...

Enjoy...

ps written before PBG's reply...  ;D
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 06:11:14 PM »
I never carried spare tubes, just a fuse.

Hornisse

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 06:23:14 PM »
Great deal on a nice looking head!  I may have to check those out.  They rent them out at Rock n' Roll Rentals here in town. 

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 10:20:46 AM »
I haven't used a tube-free amp in over 20 years. All I carry is a spare 12AX7. The same one... for over 20 years.  ;D

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 10:27:00 AM »
Tubes last for decades - they're not as fragile as many think.  IMO Carrying spares is a waste of time and money.

Consider: if a tube goes out, how are you going to determine which tube unless you ALSO carry a tube tester?  I have two, but they're not available for indefinite loan.

Disregard.  If it really concerns you, take a back up head.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 10:48:01 AM »
"The people who told you that are full of shit." If a tube fails, whether it be the fault of the tube or the amp, the damage will happen almost guarantees that you'll either just destroy your new tubes or damamge your  amp further. Fortunately, tubes and tube amps are far more robust than they are generally given credit for being.

BTW, congrats of the new amp!
"The people who told you that are full of shit." Isn't everyone ?  ;D Back in the days when you could get USA made tubes reliability was not much of a problem, now with eastern block tubes and products from China I find it a good idea to carry a few spares, as my tech (read electrical engineer) says the import tubes are a pig in a poke. I go through preamp tubes more than power tubes. I sure can't hurt carrying a few spares miles from nowhere. Also helps when the geetard drops his head, or heaven forbid you do ! :o Congrats on the amp !
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 11:07:17 AM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 12:10:39 PM »
Sorry, but that's not the case, and if your amps are eating preamp tubes, there is something seriously wrong with them. The whole 'lower quality means spares are necessary' line is a bunch of bullshit; current production tubes do not last as long in general as old US and European production, but we're talking a difference of four or five years out of 30 or 40. If they're really poor quality, they die instantly. You're not going to have one just 'up and die' without it giving you plenty of warning. 15-20 years ago, Chinese tubes were a crapshoot. Nowadays, there are more audio tubes being manufactured than there EVER were 'back in the day,' and there are currently produced models that I would rather have instead of vintage.

I also retiterate what I said previously: If a tube fails, whether it be the fault of the tube or the amp, the damage will happen almost guarantees that you'll either just destroy your new tubes or damage your  amp further. If you drop your amp and it breaks a tube, there will be something else broken inside it 99.9% of the time. Just because their envelopes are glass, doesn't mean they're going to shatter with the least hit. How fragile is your car's windshield?

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 01:40:33 PM »
When did I say my amps were eating pre amp tubes? I have half a dozen tube heads, some get more use than others, they bounce around in my van in all kinds of weather. Most of my amps only see use onstage, then back in storage they go, since I run more than one head I may not notice a preamp tube is going in one amp, I'll only discover it at the next sound check and that's when I am happy I have spares. I keep spares and have had to use them. 30 plus years of experience have taught me that this is a good idea for me, you and anyone else may does as they like.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

dc10bass

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2010, 02:25:49 PM »

Thanks TBird1958...
I've been looking for someone I knew who has bought one of these to see what they thought.
I actually have a late 60's Traynor YBA-3A Super Custom Special that I'm looking to sell soon.
...Maybe I'll have to grab a Traynor YBA 200-2s down the road.

Thanks again for the user review... and a trusted one at that!
www.talesofcream.com - A Tribute to the Music of Cream
www.facebook.com/LIVETHEWHO - The Who Tribute

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2010, 09:58:45 PM »
i may want that super custom special if ya decide to part with it.
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2010, 09:59:51 PM »
When did I say my amps were eating pre amp tubes?

Why else would you be changing them?  ???

I have half a dozen tube heads, some get more use than others, they bounce around in my van in all kinds of weather.

I've got loads of old tube PA and recording gear, 30+ tube amps, and have been fixing them for almost 20 years, and have NEVER had to change a preamp tube at a gig. They are also stored outside and ride around in the back of my pickup under a camper top. I've had a Mullard 12DW7 split its envelope and go gassy when I was reinstalling it in an SVT after cleaning up the amp on my bench, and other than that, the only changes I've ever had to make with preamp tubes have simply been for different makes or types for a change in tone.  I once lost a power tube to a short when my Trace Elliot VR400 vibrated off my Acme and fell to the ground and it ran for about five minutes more until the current imbalance blew the mains fuse.

since I run more than one head I may not notice a preamp tube is going in one amp, I'll only discover it at the next sound check and that's when I am happy I have spares.

I reiterate my earlier question: why are you changing preamp tubes if they are functional?

I keep spares and have had to use them. 30 plus years of experience have taught me that this is a good idea for me, you and anyone else may does as they like.

20 years of experience fixing them says you're wasting your money.

stiles72

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2010, 02:47:52 AM »
Nice Amp!  I'd like to get a hold of one of those to do an A/B with the V4BH...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2010, 05:04:19 AM »
PBG When you use the word "eating" to me that means going through them a lot. I don't get what you are all whipped up about. I carry spares and have used them. Your opinion is that it is not nessesary Fine I really don't care, we disagree no big deal. That does not mean I am "full of shit". Honestly I think your moderating skills could use a little work.