Author Topic: So, how are you getting the word out...  (Read 5758 times)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
So, how are you getting the word out...
« on: January 14, 2008, 07:36:47 PM »
...about this new forum?  How might someone who wasn't part of the old pit forum or visits Jules' place gonna find us?
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
Re: So, how are you getting the word out...
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 08:10:10 PM »
Gibdar?
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 09:07:40 PM »
Besides my thread at Jules' site, I sent out emails to about 50 people, mostly Gibson fans. Many of them have already joined. Word of mouth and eventually Google will bring in more.

Of course our goal isn't to be big, just to be good.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 02:22:01 PM »
Besides my thread at Jules' site, I sent out emails to about 50 people, mostly Gibson fans. Many of them have already joined. Word of mouth and eventually Google will bring in more.

Of course our goal isn't to be big, just to be good.

I agree that quality over quantity is a good goal, but my recent experience in other forums is it takes a certain critical mass to make a forum viable, interesting, fun and attractive over the long haul.  My disappointment with a couple other places has been the lack of engaged Gibson fans.  No bassist is an island!  In truth, I'm not enthralled with the "sound of my own voice."  I'm always seeking others' experience, knowledge and comradery.  I think we're off to a good start.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 03:40:01 PM »
We're only little puppies so far, give it time ...

Considering that we haven't even been up for a week so far, turn out is pretty good. But whether we're here for the long run and not just paper on fire can only be ascertained in, say, half a year from now. But it's certainly worth a try.

Uwe
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 05:38:18 AM »
Thank you for trying.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 11:20:35 AM »

"Of course our goal isn't to be big, just to be good."

Trust me....you've already done that! This is where I want to be  :D
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

pamlicojack

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 11:28:24 AM »
About what?  I don't want just anyone here...   ;)

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 01:56:53 PM »
I've only been here a few minutes and I've already seen enough familiar (but not seen lately) names to feel completely at home. Very nice so far...

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2008, 08:45:45 AM »
I agree that we don't want just anyone if that person is a pain in the butt.  What I'm liking already is the folks I've always thought of as genuine Gibson afficionados and good folks to chat with are showing up.  For me, I'm tired of checking so many forums and my goal is to cut back with this place becoming my home.  If we all stay, it can only get better! 

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2008, 09:27:06 AM »
I agree that we don't want just anyone if that person is a pain in the butt.  What I'm liking already is the folks I've always thought of as genuine Gibson afficionados and good folks to chat with are showing up.  For me, I'm tired of checking so many forums and my goal is to cut back with this place becoming my home.  If we all stay, it can only get better! 

This pretty much sums up my thoughts exactly. If we have a whole board that embodies the spirit of the old Gibson forum, I'd imagine this place will take that top spot for a lot of us.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2008, 10:42:38 AM »
I pretty much feel like we are all family, so everyone knows what to expect and we have a lot of new guys from Gibsonbass.com's forum.

I always thought that, like the Gibson Pit Cd, we are truly a multi-national group and not just an exclusive group other than our love of Gibson basses. When you think about it, I'm surprised it took this long to get our own site.

Dave & Uwe make it very clear what this place is about and people will stick to it, just like people have for the most part at Jule's site (which is our shrine of shine worship)- thou shall not worship false chrome pieces, though shall covet another's bass.

Johnny Crab

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2008, 10:04:21 AM »
My disappointment with a couple other places has been the lack of engaged Gibson fans.  No bassist is an island!  In truth, I'm not enthralled with the "sound of my own voice."  I'm always seeking others' experience, knowledge and comradery.  I think we're off to a good start.
Just found this place last night.
ALL of the above are why I'm here and missed THIS place.
I've run across some in my "outcast" travels that would fit here.
If you are truly interested in the truth, start by turning off the television.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2008, 10:20:57 AM »
I'm glad you found us! I knew there would be some people who were interested but weren't in my address book (or were, but with an old address). Word of mouth will help us. It'll take time but I think we're doing very well considering we've only been up since the 11th.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2008, 11:50:26 AM »
Some old Pitters have my e-mailaddress or MySpace and I also directed some guys to this strange place.