Author Topic: Black Thunderbird Pickups  (Read 1935 times)

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
Black Thunderbird Pickups
« on: March 05, 2010, 02:03:10 AM »
Does anybody know the difference between the older and newer black thunderbird pickups?? I think the older ones had a P bass style (staggered) hidden under the black cover, while the newer ones are more of the traditional style. I'm also looking for 1 of the older P style black pickups as well.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 02:18:15 AM by Bionic-Joe »

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
Re: Black Thunderbird Pickups
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 02:19:36 AM »
Theory says that pee-style pickups sound kinda clearer, not so low-mid heavy as normal humbuckers, but I don't know if older tbird pups are pee pickups in disguise.
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 11:41:51 AM »

Joe,

Here's some pup shots, the first are two of the three variations of TB Plus that I'm aware of, the split coil one is from my '89 and has had a chrome '76 cover put on it after it's outer black plastic shell was peeled off. The second is a later version I got from Scott (bass IV).
The second one is also very similar in apperance to an Orville pup, chrome cover aside.

For comparison a nakkie '76

And last a Lull with my BaCH, before I modified it - note how thin it is, like the original Gibson from the '60s

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 04:27:30 PM »
That's a split-coil configuration all right, but with twin blades for each coil I can't imagine it sounds much like a P pickup.

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 07:28:36 PM »
Thanks Guys. If anybody has one, let me know.

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 01:21:21 AM »
That's a split-coil configuration all right, but with twin blades for each coil I can't imagine it sounds much like a P pickup.

Must sound similar to those dimarzios

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 07:34:45 PM »
Maybe, maybe not. The coil shape has a lot to do with the sound. The DiMarzios don't sound much like a traditional P but they do have the short fat coil shape overall. The split-coil T-bird pickups don't.