Author Topic: "Me & my Messerschmitt" thread  (Read 6504 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: "Me & my Messerschmitt" thread
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2008, 04:32:01 AM »
When the Luftwaffe moved from Starfighters to Phantoms, pilots were heartbroken: They compared the Phantom to "driving a truck after you have spent years on a motorcycle", the latter meaning the agility of the Starfighter (which drove many pilots to dangerous antics and inevitably to more than 100 Starfighter losses over the years with the Luftwaffe alone). I think less than 5 Phantoms crashed during decades of German service - it was such a rugged, forgiving and good-natured plane. It also performed well in Vietnam - no match for a MIG 21 in pure flight performance, but it could take a beating and return home plus carry impressive weaponry.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2008, 01:07:22 AM »
I believe it wasthe same in Holland with changing to F16s and NF5s. of course the F16 is one of the best fighters and it's relatively light and agile, but there were a lot of Starfighter-lovers. A lot of crashes though...

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2008, 05:36:00 AM »
do any of you guys actually fly?
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2008, 05:42:39 AM »
 In my dreams. I'm thinking of going for my sport pilot ticket. I went through ground school years ago.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2008, 05:48:36 AM »
I used to fly years ago.  I got my private license, and was working towards my commercial when I realized that I really didn't want to fly for a living.  It was fun flying the Cherokee, Cessna 150 and 172, though.  I even spent time in an Aeronca Champ.  My coolest flight was night cross-country trip.  Champaign, IL to Chicago, where I did a touch-and-go at Midway Airport, then came back.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2008, 10:02:29 AM »

"do any of you guys actually fly?"

In the company of vodka, yes..... ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2008, 10:45:11 AM »
I would love to learn. But it's the same with learning to take good pictures, learning to play bass, saxophone, drums, trumpet and maybe even guitar. Restoring a classic car.

I have a small RC helicopter though. And I looooooove Bell Hueys!

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2008, 12:28:41 PM »
"do any of you guys actually fly?"

In the company of vodka, yes..... ;)
but too much vodka will make you fall
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

birdie

• Trying hard to be the person my dog thinks I am.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2008, 06:23:45 PM »
i have about 7000 hrs. none lately, though.
glad to have found you guys again. the former site of choice is suffering death by a thousand cuts. over and over..
Fleet Guitars

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2008, 08:25:29 PM »
Hi birdie, glad you found us.