Author Topic: Inside the Epi Les paul std bass pickups.  (Read 4408 times)

Deathshead

• View Profile
Inside the Epi Les paul std bass pickups.
« on: February 24, 2010, 07:16:38 PM »
Hi guys, Thanks again to Scott (God of thunder) for selling me his spare Schaller bassbucker pickup,

I thought you guys might want to take a look inside the epiphone bass pickups.

Sorry for the crappy pictures, I cant find my real camera.
I pulled the neck pup and installed the schaller, cool pickup! exactly what I was looking for big fat, thick with an attitude.

Anyways I was going to re-use the chrome cover from the epi pup so I popped the cover off, what a hunk of crap the epiphone pups are. wow
so cheaply made, and reaks of crayons too, lol

I was expecting to find a cheesy 6 pole guitar humbucker but was very surprised to find out its a blade pickup, like a really BAD copy of the Gibson TB plus pickups.
the funny part is how they are put together, its just 2 blades wrapped in wire dropped into the cover and filled with wax and set in there all crooked.

And the schaller, after messing with hundreds of pickups over the years, This thing is built unlike any other bass pickup I have seen, really great quality.

With cover off, looks like they are designed to be ran this way too..

Cover covers on the way.
If anyone has another spare please let me know! Allparts can get them, but special order..

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
Re: Inside the Epi Les paul std bass pickups.
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 07:32:24 PM »

That's looking nice!

Long ago I had an Epi LP.........it played pretty well but was somewhat antiseptic sounding, it went away as part of a trade for a 76 'Bird.

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: Inside the Epi Les paul std bass pickups.
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 12:38:23 PM »
That looks great in there ! Yeah the build quality is insane on that thing, so well made I almost didn't sell it !
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird