Author Topic: Advice on '73 Rick requested, please  (Read 12492 times)

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
Re: Advice on '73 Rick requested, please
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2010, 06:37:03 PM »
WOW - congrats! That's even less than I paid for my '76 in 2002! Looks great.

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2010, 06:47:41 PM »
Thanks! I think the electronics need a good cleaning and I suspect the output jacks need tightening. It's possible that some of the soldering needs to be inspected as it doesn't seem to be putting out what it ought to be capable of putting out. You can tell it has a great sound but I think once the electronics are all spruced up it should be a lot nicer. Mids are really nice on the old girl! Balances very well and though it weighs nearly 10 lbs it doesn't seem so at all. I like it and can't wait to get her all cleaned up.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Hornisse

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2010, 08:38:16 PM »
That is a great score!  I had a '77 Mapleglo years ago and loved that bass.

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2010, 09:13:41 PM »
Thanks! I think the electronics need a good cleaning and I suspect the output jacks need tightening. It's possible that some of the soldering needs to be inspected as it doesn't seem to be putting out what it ought to be capable of putting out. You can tell it has a great sound but I think once the electronics are all spruced up it should be a lot nicer. Mids are really nice on the old girl! Balances very well and though it weighs nearly 10 lbs it doesn't seem so at all. I like it and can't wait to get her all cleaned up.

Actually, my '76 is VERY low output. After I bought it I got some Seymour Duncans thinking that that would spruce it up, but quickly went back to the originals. With their low output they can seem weak, but put them through a decent preamp and they sound great! I used to use a Fodera Model 2000, but more recently use an Alembic F2-B. Basically, turn the input UP!!! I recorded this demo with my '76 and the new Taurus III - I don't like how the Moog turned out, but I think the bass sounds pretty good - it's just the bridge pup (which I don't usually use by itself) into a PJB Briefcase, recorded on a Tascam digital recorder:

Hornisse

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2010, 11:17:32 PM »
Agreed about the low output.  I recall having to turn my amp down when I switched from my '77 Ric to my '77 P bass.  Love the sound of these basses through Sunn amps!

Bert

• View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2010, 02:14:55 AM »
I'm not sure if this year still has a bass cutting capacitor on the bridge pickup. If so, then you can win a lot of bass with bypassing it (with a little piece of electric wire).I personaly like this bass cutting capacitor. But only with both pickups active. I never use the bridge pickup on it's own.
'68 4001|'73 4001 MG|'73 4001 AZG (PW refin)|'75 4000 MG|'79 4001 JG FL|'81 4001S AZG|'86 4003 MID/BT|'86 4003 Shadow|'86 4003S JG|'88 4003s Blackstar|'89 4003 Grey/BT FL|'96 4003S/8 FG|'98 4003S/5 JG| 05 650D|06 4004 CII BBR||B-115|RB 30||?

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2010, 05:44:59 AM »
Congrats on a great score!

Bert: the bass cut capacitor was discontinued in '85.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2010, 06:29:46 AM »
That is a great deal on a very cool bass !
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2010, 06:32:25 AM »
very nice. and great deal!
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2010, 07:14:51 AM »
great score...I am sooooo jealous.

Denis

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2010, 10:53:58 AM »
Thanks, guys, I'm happy as hell with it! I was fooling around with it and the thing almost has an upright bass sound, especially on the D and G strings. Neat!

Can you take some pics and post them? If possible - under the pickguard and nameplate.

Yes, sure can!

Clocks.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2010, 03:25:38 PM »
The bass-cut cap is still there. I'd bypass it and get a fully functioning bridge pickup.

The truss rod nuts look good - on so many 4001's they are bent. I think you got a great bass for a great price.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2010, 04:24:39 PM »
Yeah, looks extra clean inside.

Note the wiring channel made by drilling with forstner bits. Those were the (pre-CNC) days!

Denis

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2010, 06:56:07 PM »

I like that A LOT!

The bass-cut cap is still there. I'd bypass it and get a fully functioning bridge pickup.

The bridge pups were basically handicapped, then? Would you point the bass-cap out for me, please? That's a term that's new to me so I don't want to go messing with stuff I don't understand. Thanks!

Yeah, looks extra clean inside.
Note the wiring channel made by drilling with forstner bits. Those were the (pre-CNC) days!

So, how handmade were these things? When did Rick get CNC machines? It would be interesting to know much time it took to make one of these pre-CNC 4001s.
Clocks.

dminer

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2010, 09:17:08 PM »
"Would you point the bass-cap out for me, please?"
   The .0047 cap is the LITTLE light yellow cap kind of under the larger light yellow .047 caps. I believe it runs from the 2nd pot to the switch. Go to the rick forum or Joey's bass notes to find out how to do the bypass. It's pretty easy and well worth the mod in my opinion.
   I believe that this tiny cap has been responsible for the majority of pickup swaps on the older rick basses. Most players just didn't know why their rickenbacker sound was so anemic compared to their p/jazz basses and lots of folks switched out the pups to try and get that fuller sound.
    Many players love the cap in place but personally I love the cap bypassed. A few years ago I got my 4005 and the cap was in place. To me it was kind of a plink-plunk bass sound...when I removed the cap WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!! I never ran a preamp though, and perphaps it would have sounded much better through one. My 76 already had the cap removed and I love the sound of that bass, and it has one of the nicest feeling necks of any bass I own. Great deal on a great bass!!