Author Topic: 15" tone rings  (Read 7113 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: 15" tone rings
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2010, 01:03:48 PM »
TILT...!

(I knew I should have listened more at college...  ;))

There are some people that seriously know their stuff round here... hats off...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2010, 01:38:40 PM »
here is the comparison of the second modification to a sample Fender circuit that was loaded in the calculator:

mine is the top line. JJ (tesla) and EH both making the 12DW7 again.

You'll want to move that low frequency "hump" farther to the right by using a higher value cap for bass, probably .47 microfarad, maybe even as high as 1 microfarad. You really want to try and corner the mids at 400 Hz. Right now, they're at about 30 Hz.  As it stands now, you're scooping out almost all the low end and midrange definition.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2010, 07:18:52 AM »
TILT...!

Don't let 'em scare you Kenny. When it's time to talk idiot stuff, you know I'll be there for ya ;)
Rick

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2010, 08:56:25 AM »
...if you all only knew what a redneck I am. The only reason I care so much about amps is that when it's time to play out and I roll into someplace, it's a good feeling to tell the soundguy, "Don't worry about the bass sound; I've got it covered, and if you piss me off with too much kickdrum through the subs, I will make you pay."  8)

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2010, 05:38:02 PM »

working on trying to flatten it out some
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 07:50:44 PM by sniper dog »
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2010, 08:27:10 AM »
TILT...!

You and me, Kenny, you and me.  A PhD does me no darn good in this company.  I try to remember that a grad degree and a buck will get me coffee in a cheap restaurant.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2010, 06:09:33 PM »
PhD...? bummer, Al... can you get anything for that...  ;D

...if you all only knew what a redneck I am.

YEEEEHHHHAAAAAAW!!!!!

I'm just looking forward to trying to figure out the feedback issue with my '68 Marshall 50...  :o (low on the priority list at the mo - still gotta re-cap the Hiwatt, in my spare time...  ;))

... and Rick, I appreciate that...  :P
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2010, 10:23:17 PM »
PhD...? bummer, Al... can you get anything for that...  ;D

I administer beer as needed, then go crawl under a car and work on it.  Or maybe it's the other way around. :P
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2010, 10:33:28 AM »
okay, i've been playing with the tone stack and to get it flat is not hard. to get it flat with a fairly wide sweep range is truely a bit_h! or to get it flat wih any db difference deeper than a -10 is anyway. i'm thinking that is the purpose of the sweep though, am i not right? at least that is how i understand the plan.

Jack Ryan: [imitating the Admiral] "The average Rooskie, son, don't take a dump without a plan."

i'm still grinding.

btw, the tonestack calculator i am using is the Duncan's tone stack calc. prolly not the best but almost understandable for a dyslexic like me.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 10:53:11 AM by sniper dog »
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2010, 06:25:03 PM »
this is my latest effort to flatten the mid low, low hump and still have an acceptable sweep: the controls are at a flat 5

the sweep: the controls are at both extremes of the ranges for all three, treb, mid and bass

is this more like it should be? the mid range actually has some effect vs a Baxandall but i don't want it sounding like a Marshall. i suppose that could be considered a success but.....i'm actually thinking of chucking this clunker and using a Baxandall circuit getting rid of the mid pot and leaving the volume after the first gain stage in the name of simplicity.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 07:29:34 PM by sniper dog »

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2010, 09:39:48 PM »
That is very similar to a Marshall curve, and you're seeing why Ampeg used the Baxandall. I actually think the Marshall EQ wouldn't be a bad thing. Marshall's get brash from their driver and power sections being current starved, which won't be an issue with your amp. Right now, I'd say the voicing falls between Sunn and Ampeg, but with better "hi-fi" performance.

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2010, 10:22:02 PM »
That is very similar to a Marshall curve, and you're seeing why Ampeg used the Baxandall. I actually think the Marshall EQ wouldn't be a bad thing. Marshall's get brash from their driver and power sections being current starved, which won't be an issue with your amp. Right now, I'd say the voicing falls between Sunn and Ampeg, but with better "hi-fi" performance.

shouting "gawd" during organisms (a hillbilly word) is not exactly worship but in this case it is close!!! now to try and finish the design and start to work on the amp section and a marriage of the two.

i won't mess with this anymore then ... unless absolutely ness.  ;D thanks