Author Topic: '65 P-bass on craigslist  (Read 1347 times)

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
'65 P-bass on craigslist
« on: February 09, 2010, 08:26:49 AM »
This seems like a lot to me, especially since it's been repainted. Looks like a piece of the pg is missing too.

http://winstonsalem.craigslist.org/msg/1592259751.html

1965 Fender Precision Bass - $4250 (pinnacle, 27043)
Date: 2010-02-08, 7:51PM EST
Reply to: sale-hrgpj-1592259751@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
Up for sale is my 1965 Fender Precision Bass. I am the only owner of this immaculate guitar and bought it brand new in 1965. It has some scratches on it so i had it repainted back to the exact original colors which was ordered from a fender technician. I have the original case and even the original strap to this guitar. Before i repainted it, it was valued at 12,000 at shanoks pawn shop in king. It has all original frets and fret board. This guitar was always stored in its case. The only thing wrong is i have 2 after market dials on it. It also has brand new strings and has been played and tested by local musicians. The serial number is L71774 if you cant see it. if you have any questions please email me at alvearcody@yahoo.com or call me at 817-9832. Thanks
cody,
p.s. only selling it because im afraid a guitar of this value has a high potential to be stolen.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

eb2

• View Profile
Re: '65 P-bass on craigslist
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 08:51:23 AM »
Well, it is a tad high to my mind by $1000-1250.  The pickguard tip is both common, and for me a good sign that it is probably legit.  Someone would have to have it in hand, and pop some stuff apart to know for sure.  But for an L series 65 P that is all there but for a hopefully decent refin, I would imagine these days that would run in the $3k or less ballpark.  That seems to be the area that I have been seeing on ebay, although Gbase dealers almost always ask in this range in their dreams, and those basses never move for that price. 

I am kind of spooked by the description.  Getting a valuation from a pawnbroker is never a sign of market awareness.  Getting a figure of $12k and then deciding a great thing to do is to refinish - that is the sign of a freaking idiot.  The mention of dials confirms it.  Personally I would expect to deal with a bozo, and it is sadly a 50/50 chance that they would stick hard to the price, or take a $1000 and a line of coke.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 03:20:51 PM »
Refin, replacement knobs, he won't get his asking price.  My totally original '66 sold for only $4000 last year.
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 05:11:12 PM »
I am kind of spooked by the description.  Getting a valuation from a pawnbroker is never a sign of market awareness.  Getting a figure of $12k and then deciding a great thing to do is to refinish - that is the sign of a freaking idiot.  The mention of dials confirms it.  Personally I would expect to deal with a bozo, and it is sadly a 50/50 chance that they would stick hard to the price, or take a $1000 and a line of coke.

Amen.

You don't sell a real '65 P on Craigslist unless you're being unrealistic about the price, unaware or crazy. Or don't really own it.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 05:20:52 PM »
Either the pics or the bass are stolen. Nobody who bought a P-Bass new in 1965 and kept it until now would have to 'have it tested by local musicians.'

rockinrayduke

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 05:00:25 PM »
Some murky-ass pics.