Author Topic: pickup choice conundrum...  (Read 1750 times)

Tim Armstrong

• View Profile
pickup choice conundrum...
« on: March 21, 2008, 07:54:14 AM »
I'm gigging with, and loving, a somewhat mongrelized Fender Musicmaster Bass.  It's actually a '73 neck on a '97-ish Squier Vista Series body, with a GFS twin-blade strat-sized pickup (that sounds absolutely phenomenal!).

I originally had this neck on a '73 body that had a particularly crappy refin, and a buddy of mine who's trying to teach himself guitar repair insisted on stripping it and refinishing it for me.  Originally, I was gonna just put the Vista Series neck back on Pinky, and keep that bass as a backup, but as time has dragged on (my friend moves with all the speed of a slowly melting glacier...), I've gotten more and more fond of Pinky.  So I bought another '73 Musicmaster Bass neck on eBay, one that needs a fret job.

So... After a year of sporadic work, the body is stripped and prepped for painting, but my friend is just too busy with work and school to do the painting.  He's not up for refretting, either, so I'm sending the whole thing to another friend (in Colorado) who's a really experienced pro to finish the bass.

That's all background to my present issue.  I'm looking at three different ways to go, pickupwise.

1. GFS pickup like Pinky.  As mentioned, this rocks, and of course it fits the pickguard and body rout with no modification.  But I already have one of these!
2. Mustang pickup.  I have a Mustang pickup, pickguard and control plate, so I could easily convert this bass into a Mustang.
3. P-Bass pickup.  I have a really fine Voodoo P-Bass pickup, bought for another project that didn't happen, and it would certainly kick major ass here.

Then there's a Dark Star, but I just mentioned that to make Dave spit his coffee!  ;D

I'd be glad to hear your opinion!

Cheers, Tim

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: pickup choice conundrum...
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 08:45:14 AM »
Sorry I was just drinking water, but I almost did a Danny Thomas-style spit take. Lucky for you my keyboard is still working.  :D

I'd go with #2. A Mustang pickup is not as growly as a P and may not be as hot as the GFS but there's nothing wrong with the Mustang tone. You already have the twin rail GFS on the other bass. And a regular P pickup doesn't look right on a Mustang body anyway.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 07:50:41 AM »
I have to agree with Dave's assessment. I think that would be the most logical way to go.

marcnorth

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 06:29:18 PM »
You could always go with Jazz Bass pickups.