Author Topic: Dusk Tiger video  (Read 3616 times)

Barklessdog

• View Profile
Dusk Tiger video
« on: January 18, 2010, 10:26:28 AM »

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: Dusk Tiger video
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 10:33:53 AM »
I stopped listening after he said the beastie was in (auto) tune - the 3rd chord he played sounded so-out...  :o

"gadgets" -  :puke:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 10:39:10 AM »
pie-zo or pee-zo, not pee-ay-zo. Because I say so.  :P

nofi

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 01:32:08 PM »
all are acceptable. trust me i have done research. :)

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 01:44:39 PM »
http://www.howjsay.com/index.php?word=piezo

I just found this on the internet so it must be true!  ;D

Even if pee-ay-zo is acceptable, I still get to poke fun at the Dusk Tiger.

nofi

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 02:03:51 PM »
i found my info on an even 'truer' internet site. where i live it would go something like this:

" that bass got one o' them there PIEzo thingies in there, buddy. " :sad:

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 03:37:36 PM »
I suppose we should be thankful there isn't a bass option...  :P
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 05:59:54 PM »
i found my info on an even 'truer' internet site. where i live it would go something like this:

" that bass got one o' them there PIEzo thingies in there, buddy. " :sad:

That's the way I've always heard it. And the talking dictionary says it's right.

The Gibson guy just memorized a script. He doesn't know squat.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2010, 09:15:45 AM »
In Dutch it is pee-ay-zo...

nofi

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2010, 10:47:14 AM »
just a bad idea all around.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2010, 02:16:50 PM »
That is just silly. Also note the Jazz bass in the background. Gibson can't even have one of their basses in the video ???
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2010, 05:52:05 PM »
Most accidents happen at Dusk. heh

meow

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2010, 09:56:07 AM »
I only saw a couple seconds of the vid, but this whole robot guitar thing seems really convoluted for what it does -

The new ... Bridge is a modified Tune-o-matic that measures the individual tuning of each string via special saddles. The signal from each string is then transmitted to the control CPU in the control panel, which then transfers the signal to the Neck CPU and the Robot Tuners&trade, which, in turn, tune the strings... .each string is separated by ceramic insulators that isolate each individual string signal ... Underneath the tailpiece is a tiny circuit board that processes each individual signal to the ribbon cable, which is then transmitted to the on-board CPUs, which, in turn, tune the strings. Both pieces work with each other to help balance all the information being transmitted between the various points, and make sure every string is in tune, making them the epitome of form and function in electric guitar bridge and tailpiece design.

:o

I was in a band where the guitarist had one of those Steinberger's with the Trans-trem system (this was 80s - band did Chick Corea, Holdsworth, etc.. type stuff.  Don't worry - I've recovered for the most part  :)).  While admittedly gimmicky, it was kinda neat in that he could maintain nearly perfect intervals bending chords, transpose up or down to a different tuning mid stream (it would lock in and stay there), and in that sense I could see it as more of a musical tool rather than something just for whammy dive bombs.

With this, it sounds like they have the framework there to do quite a bit more than just tune the guitar - add some sort of pedal controller where you could shift or bend tuning of one or more strings at will, and maybe even a synth interface (sounds like each string is already isolated, like the Rolands).  Even using that for signal/effect processing is cool, since the results sound drastically different when you process each string in isolation.  It doesn't appear that they even provided an connection/interface like that for future add-ons.  

Just seems kind of short sighted to me to build all that crap in there to use only as a glorified auto-tuner, or something that's limited to just a handful of drop-D and other pre-determined settings.  This is more of a cart-before-the-horse-solution looking for a problem to solve.

And even stepping back further - all this is lunatic fringe stuff for most guitarists who are more obsessed over tone, tubes, caps, Keeley mods, etc...  What market is there for this stuff?  Look at the raging success of the Moog guitar!  And it actually does something interesting, albeit at a scary price.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 10:54:28 AM by chromium »

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2010, 03:38:58 PM »
Joe mentioned the "M" word...  :o

("... the horror... the RD horror..." purely my own circumstances...  ;D)

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2010, 04:11:38 PM »
Joe mentioned the "M" word...  :o

Mahavishnu?   ;D