Author Topic: making some determinations about speaker cab sizes and ports  (Read 906 times)

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
making some determinations about speaker cab sizes and ports
« on: December 19, 2009, 03:39:34 PM »
Just a little FYI from a guy with too much time on his hands while his g/f is away!!!

http://www.linearteam.dk/default.aspx?pageid=winisd

http://www.jblpro.com/pub/manuals/enclgde.pdf

These two links could prove to be handy for those of us who don’t have a lot of money to spend on speaker cabinets but have a few tools and boards so we might make a cab.

The first link is basically a link to a program that lets one determine the cabinet size and port area and depth for a speaker. Play with it. As far as I understand it is loaded with the Thiele specs of a JBL 15” speaker (a K140 to be exact).

The second link is to a JBL .pdf chart with info for building a cabinet. Read the first part then choose the correct line from the chart below. It is a downloadable pdf. Line 6 corresponds to a E140 15" JBL.

example:

"Once the box is designed in terms of dimensions, any decent cabinetmaker could build something for you.
Thanks a lot for that....actually, I could build the box but I am having a tough time figuring the design out, or actually designing the cab...
Sorry for the ignorance, but would I build a box simply going by the dimensions, like in this case 23.6 x 19.2 x 16.7 (inside)?

Then the vent ? It says 25.1 square inches, but what is that part about "equivalent duct tube and ID = (2) 4.0 , length = 6.5"

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The port area is 25.1 sq in, which is the same as two round ports of 4" diameter. Or you could make 1 of 5"x5" or 1 2"x12.5". The length of the port(s) is 6.5" so long as the area is 25.1" sq. 4" diameters and multiples of these are often specified as it's a common water pipe size."

edited and copied from another bass forum...OP
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW