Author Topic: JB Ric  (Read 8097 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: JB Ric
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2009, 12:19:59 PM »
ok, i've been doing some research and it turns out that Ric belongs to Glen Hughes. the airline lost Geezers gear and Glen loaned him his.

Exactly. And Geezer hated it. As Glenn Hughes had (reverting to Fender P on subsequent DP Mk III tours). In theory, an aggressive bass like the Ric and Glenn Hughes' upfront playing were a match made in heaven, in practice it didn't work. Glenn plays the Ric throughout the Burn album and unlike Roger Glover (a much less upfront player than Glenn) is hardly heard at all with it (whereas Glover's Ric sound on MH, MIJ and WDWTWA is to cream in your pants for). The Ric is - hard to believe - buried in the mix though the album was again engineered by Martin Birch who has a reputation of mixing bass sounds loud.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 07:24:37 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2010, 02:17:54 PM »
This 8-string looks like it might be a JB creation as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oLKCNbCCCY&feature=related

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2010, 09:10:26 AM »
That's a Birch for sure !
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2010, 10:34:59 AM »
Look at Iommi - dude's nose has GOT to be packed! LOL! Ozzy's havin a tough time..... Cool footage though.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2010, 11:12:31 AM »
Dave that's not a Birch..........................that's a bitch  ;D
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2010, 12:34:40 PM »
Dave that's not a Birch..........................that's a bitch  ;D

:rimshot: :D ;D

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2010, 08:03:10 AM »
Used to look after their "primary" home alarm system - nothing but good things to say...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2010, 11:16:26 AM »
I went for the cheap laugh, forgive me. If it wasn't for Sharon Ozzy would be dead by now.

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2010, 11:18:24 AM »
Well, now he's a living dead, lol!
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2010, 10:13:45 AM »
Exactly. And Geezer hated it. As Glenn Hughes had (reverting to Fender P on subsequent DP Mk III tours). In theory, an aggressive bass like the Ric and Glenn Hughes' upfront playing were a match made in heaven, in practice it didn't work. Glenn plays the Ric throughout the Burn album and unlike Roger Glover (a much less upfront player than Glenn) is hardly heard at all with it (whereas Glover's Ric sound on MH, MIJ and WDWTWA is to cream in your pants for). The Ric is - hard to believe - buried in the mix though the album was again engineered by Martin Birch who has a reputation of mixing bass sounds loud.

And still some want to believe that Glenn played the 4001 on "Made In Europe".:)

Hornisse

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2010, 11:13:50 AM »
You mean they lied!!  :o   ;)

All these years I've always thought it sounded like a Ric.

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2010, 11:47:13 AM »

All these years I've always thought it sounded like a Ric.

Some of the pics (the front cover for example) are from "Burn" tour and the album was compiled from recordings made in the spring of '75.

Big_Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2010, 01:06:46 PM »
Here-

http://forums.vintageguitars.org.uk/showthread.php?t=2051

Never saw one before.

I'm getting that the link is no good. I followed it back to the site & I think they moved it (because it's not a Rick & he posted in Ricks is my guess???)
If it's the one in "Other names" I'm afraid he'll be disappointed. I saw two just like it on Ebay in the past two years, kept a pic of one of them somewhere. John was a bit of a rascal & would tell you what he thought you wanted to hear, he was also very old & had a bit of a foggy memory sometimes.
He died in Oct/Nov of 2000, just after building my bass, the ones online now are made by his buisness partner who's been OK'd to use John's name. £1400 your cash!

Magnum pups are incredible, at the time 70's/80s they were by far the loudest available, hence their use in Metal/rock guitars & basses. I've got two in my Birch bass & one in an SG Junior. It's impossible to get a clean tone out of the SG but it does cut oak trees down at 500 yards  :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 01:15:28 PM by Big_Stu »