Author Topic: Carvin R600 questions  (Read 4448 times)

ack1961

• View Profile
Carvin R600 questions
« on: December 15, 2009, 06:57:43 AM »
Hey all,

I posted this question on another forum site, but I wanted to get some expert advice from LBO...

I'm thinking about upgrading my son's bass amp situation - he currently uses a Behringer 180W combo or a Peavey TNT130, but his band (3-piece; guitar, bass, drums - playing mostly rock, punk covers and some originals) are going to be playing gigs in some clubs real soon.  I'm not sure if all of the local clubs have their own PA, so I thought I'd better look into a head/cab for him.

There is a guy locally who is selling a Carvin R600 Combo stack - where the head and 2x12 (with a horn) are a combo unit and there is a separate 1x18 - for $500.  It looks clean enough, but I haven't heard it yet.  I went to Carvin's website, but I couldn't find a manual for this combo unit.

Anyone here have any experience with Carvin, or specifically, this unit?
..or any other advice on how to spend $500 on a decent bass amp?

Thanks,

Steve
Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Carvin R600 questions
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 10:07:54 AM »
I'm not familiar with that amp but it looks like the only one on eBay recently was a head that didn't sell at $265 but sold for $205 when it was relisted. There were a few different versions of this amp so it might be hard to know exactly what the guy has for sale unless you go check it out.

A couple links and info:

http://www.gear-vault.com/carvin-r600-redline-series-bass-amplifier/

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90206 Mixed reviews here.

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 04:20:15 PM »
Hey Thanks OldManC!
The RC210 in the picture you attached is the top unit & the bottom unit is a 1x18 cab.

I'm probably going to check them out tomorrow.

Steve
Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 06:06:05 PM »
Cool. The only way to really tell is to play through it and see how it feels. I've found that, while that won't always let you know if it will work, it almost always tells you if it wont'.

I'm going through a bit of a searching phase for amps myself right now, so I wish you (and your son) luck!