Author Topic: Teacher Wakes Student, Now He's Suing  (Read 1081 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Teacher Wakes Student, Now He's Suing
« on: March 14, 2008, 10:35:33 AM »
Jaw-dropping stupidity from Danbury, CT: http://www.wtnh.com/Global/story.asp?S=8008961

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
Re: Teacher Wakes Student, Now He's Suing
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 12:58:35 PM »
The youth of today have grown up through the age of lawsuits, child rights, and a better knowledge of the law than we ever did.  My own son was a walking book of  "this is all they can do to me" information.  The sad thing is that he was right in every instance.  He got caught shoplifting a CD (Muddy Waters, of all things.  And, he was "sticking it to the recording industry"), and when going through the process, he calmly told us that he would only get a slap on the wrist and a fine.  We got to court, and that's exactly what happened.

What opened his eyes was when a friend of his got caught underage drinking.   The friend went up before a controversial hanging judge in Mason, OH.  What should have been a fine/probation deal turned sour quickly when the judge asked the friend where he got the beer.  My son's friend responded (typical self-assured tone), "I'm not at liberty to say", and the judge responded "Then you can spend 6 months in the county jail thinking about that".  The gavel went down, and the deed was done.  My son came home freaked.  We told him, "Welcome to the real world".  He's been a lot less cocky since then, and when we moved, leaving him with the apartment so he could go to school there, we simply told him one thing - there's no-one here to bail you out of jail if you get in trouble.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Darrol

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 01:13:06 PM »
I think he would have a field day with one of the government teachers at the high school I went to. When ever he saw a student sleeping, he would project his voice in a way that it sounded like he was still at the front of the class but he would actually be walking up to the student with a hammer. He then proceeded to slam the hammer on the desk of the student that was sleeping. The teacher got away with stuff like that simply because he was not under contract with the school, they just gave him a room and put him as one of their teachers because he came from a wealthy family so he just taught for the fun of it.
There are many in this world that call me Darrol, feel free to be apart of that group.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 05:48:20 PM »
Did you see the reader comments to the story? There were 79 comments already when I read the story. Only one of them was sympathetic -- a commenter who claims to be the boy's mother. She sure got some grief from the commenters after her.

This wouldn't happen if we had a loser-pays system as in many other countries. When the loser is responsible for court costs and opposing attorney's fees, you see a lot fewer crap lawsuits like this one.