Author Topic: Uncorroberated Gossip ...  (Read 17398 times)

lowend1

• View Profile
Re: Uncorroberated Gossip ...
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2009, 06:40:37 AM »
Most of this is apparently on the money - I first heard rumblings during the summer. There was actually a posting on Monster for the president's position awhile back. I don't know Henry's personal situation, but the big picture looks like a microcosm of what is going on in many industries - corporations that simply went off in all the wrong directions, and apparently have little or no common sense at the top of the food chain. If there wasn't (with apologies in advance to our overseas contingent) a nefarious foreign element in this, I would welcome a housecleaning (read reorganization). My hope is that Henry's situation will force him to sell on Peavey's terms - I trust them more than Fender at this point (and that is not exactly a ringing endorsement either).
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2009, 08:45:46 AM »

Fender buying Gibson should have the anti-trust people perk up though ...  :mrgreen:

OTOH, they could finally credibly and legally produce the Fenderbird!

Maybe, maybe not. Joining two famous brands might raise a few eyebrows, but I doubt the two companies combined are a majority of US guitar sales or even US guitar production.

And I don't think a foreign firm buying an American icon causes a stir any more. Although the possibility makes me think of this t-shirt from Killer Vintage's Hazard Ware shop: http://hazardware.com/?page_id=3&category=3&product_id=9  ;D

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2009, 09:18:14 AM »
You mean Warwick should put a bid in?  :mrgreen:

"Gibsön - Vorsprung durch Technik!"
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2009, 09:46:28 AM »
Although the possibility makes me think of this t-shirt from Killer Vintage's Hazard Ware shop: http://hazardware.com/?page_id=3&category=3&product_id=9  ;D

I'm actually impressed by the Japanese on the left side of the shirt, but it's wrong - it says "I like Les Paul's guitar." It should read something more like "???????????" - if they're going to make a racist t-shirt, then I'm going to correct their Japanese!  8)

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2009, 09:55:07 AM »

I think some aggressive German management would do Gibson well.............. ;)

(Some) pride of craftsmanship would do wonders for Gibson, that has to come from the top.

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2009, 02:07:32 PM »
I'm actually impressed by the Japanese on the left side of the shirt, but it's wrong - it says "I like Les Paul's guitar." It should read something more like "???????????" - if they're going to make a racist t-shirt, then I'm going to correct their Japanese!  8)

The folks at Killer Vintage have never been accused of being politically correct.

Have you seen their Axis Power Trio and Ozzy Oswald shirts?

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2009, 02:42:41 PM »

Presently studying the Emperor... the last WW2 leader to die IIRC... best book on him IMO is undoubtedtly Herbert P Bix, "Hirohito and the Making of
Modern Japan"... many regard this as a definitive study, also a Pulitzer Prize winner...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2009, 03:31:04 PM »
I'm more concerned about the prospect of guitars made of Chinese drywall, and wiring like this:
http://www.quick-tech-news.com/tag/phone :o
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2009, 05:50:11 PM »

copacetic

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2009, 06:48:57 PM »
This is Hofners big chance. Afterall they have been kept alive by that one bass(don't get me wrong, they are world contenders and produce  consistent quality products) which was in fact a Ho job on the original (Gibson) Electric bass. They should scoop Gibson up and finall we might see the EB-2 as a resonant hollow bodied bass once they work out that mudbucker by incorporating some of the later blade pickups which were superior to the staples.

MARICOPAA

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2009, 01:35:55 AM »
Also heard that U.S. Customs agents raided Gibson USA a week or two ago and confiscated their entire inventory of rosewood! Gibson is segregated into different companies each with their own resources and manufacturing. Epiphone and the Custom Shop were not raided.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2009, 05:04:52 AM »
"Epiphone and the Custom Shop were not raided."

Figures, no real wood, much less protected one would be found in Epi's facilities.  :mrgreen:

Besides, aren't Epi's production facilites all outside of the US? They probably don't store any wood in the US and hence within the enforcement realms of US authorities.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2009, 07:03:04 AM »
"Epiphone and the Custom Shop were not raided."

Figures, no real wood, much less protected one would be found in Epi's facilities.  :mrgreen:

Besides, aren't Epi's production facilites all outside of the US? They probably don't store any wood in the US and hence within the enforcement realms of US authorities.

Someone told me recently that certain Epis are built in the US and I've seen a couple of Pelham Blue Epi Thunderbirds which have some sort of Custom Shop sticker on the back, so perhaps Epi does have a facility here: a shack or something...
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2009, 08:12:08 AM »
Epiphone wasn't raided because there is no Epiphone. It's just a brand name Gibson uses for certain guitars, like Sears uses Kenmore.
"The Epiphone Company" is marketing fiction. There's no Epi custom shop, the few US Epis are made by Gibson's custom shop.

Gibson's custom shop does exist, of course, but it doesn't buy wood separately.

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2009, 01:38:25 PM »
You mean Warwick should put a bid in?  :mrgreen:

"Gibsön - Vorsprung durch Technik!"

Excellent idea! They already have shared the same bridge (ABM? on LP Standard Bass).